Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  142
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

If I wanted nowadays to go on a river I would go birdwatching. Salmon fishing is almost finished. That is the way I see it after almost 60 years fishing. The local still waters still have fishers on them but not as many as a number of years ago. When our fishing clubs need a hand to get the boats in/out the water or do any other work it is only the old yins that are there. From what I have seen it would appear that a lot of the younger members just want to pay and fish and that is all there is to there fishing. Sad.
    Bob.

Default Cost & Snobbery?

I started out fishing a local mere for Gudgeon when about seven years old & the vast majority of the kids in my street did some form of angling back then (60's ). Probably because it was very cheap to fish, no Xboxes/Playstations etc, two stations only on TV, and you was probably safer peddling a mile or two with your mates back then as well ? We used to fish the Teith & the Tynes not so long ago & now tickets have doubled and the runs of fish have probably halved. Like some of you have said we're also having more restrictions placed on us which makes it less attractive to travel hundreds of miles to catch neut, went to my AGM the other week and we we're all seeing who had the best walking stick . Took my kids fishing and there still at it but mainly on commercials and Trout reservoirs, Yep salmon fishing is now for Dinosaurs.........Like me

Here in Wales angling associations really did offer good value for money angling, and those who had the drive and enthusiasm to set them up (ours was founded in 1893) really did look towards the future of the club to offer the next generation an opportunity to fish good water at an affordable price. I know that I and many of my friends really did benefit from this. Personally I am very grateful to them. At the moment though, are there many anglers coming behind us to 1. Go fishing and 2. take over the running of these clubs after we are too old to do so? No idea at the moment.
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

As stated above, unless family members take them, I dont suppose Salmon fishing has ever been a practical starting point for youngsters.

The decline is more about people in their thirties, forties and fifties wanting to give it a go. Looking at the fundamentals, it doesnt seem like a sensible thing to do, on balance.

One thing for sure the salmon aren't dying of old age.

There is usually an evolution in fishing from coarse/sea to trout to salmon. Obviously some people never move into a new branch of the sport and some people start with trout or salmon or whatever. Point being it all takes time - today’s teenager coarse angler is a potential salmon angler of 20 years time.

Only the truly enlightened evolve to night fishing for sea trout...

[Only the truly enlightened evolve to night fishing for sea trout...[/QUOTE]

Some though...fall in love at first sight.....although its often too dark to see what you have fallen in love with...all the same you are in love!!
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

I think what could help is a good fishing program on prime time tv,that could spark an interest among some couch potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS View Post
    I think what could help is a good fishing program on prime time tv,that could spark an interest among some couch potatoes.
    Sadly, I'm not sos sure that would change anything SOS. After all, there are may videos on you tube for those interested in angling. However, what could be done again would be a programme on the benifits of game angling and fieldsports in particular and especially so in Scotland. When I was a producer at Grampian TV I produced two programmes on the subject one studio based debate with a live phone in and the other a documentary. Whether it motivated people to take up angling Im not so sure but viewers certainly got a tast of what it was all about,

Looking forward to the Dee and Don Opening

Donsider

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    There is usually an evolution in fishing from coarse/sea to trout to salmon. Obviously some people never move into a new branch of the sport and some people start with trout or salmon or whatever. Point being it all takes time - today’s teenager coarse angler is a potential salmon angler of 20 years time.

Only the truly enlightened evolve to night fishing for sea trout...
    The most wonderful ,exciting fishing experience you could have, is night sea trout fishing.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast