Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default tell me when u see them

I love mull , used to go there with my mum and dad years ago when we were up in inveraray , so naturally I was interested in the salmon and sea trout fishing it had to offer , ive heard of loch ba and the forsa but was unaware it had been improving in "recent" years as the rest of the west coast plummets into oblivion
    but mabe the island is bucking the trend , then I fell upon the photo gallery,
    as title states tell me when u see them

Salmon Fishing, Isle of Mull | Fishing Trips, Argyll | Hooked on Mull
    we pass this way but once ............

Hmm.

A friend was part of a party staying at Knock (Ben More) 2-3 years ago, principally for the stalking. They did indeed catch loads of salmon, but they were more or less all fish farm escapees. Have a closer look at some of the fish in the gallery...

that's my point Charlie , are they counting them? are they trying to mislead unsuspecting anglers ?
    to the untrained eye they are just salmon , which also brings to point they state a cat 3 status so will they be asking that they manky beasts be returned too? as the visiting angles mabe of little experience may not know the difference
    Last edited by wormo; 14-01-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Defo a farmed salmon in the picture tell me when u see them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wormo, my friend who was there isn't all that much of a fisherman, and although when he told me about it I mentioned that escaped farmed salmon aren't a good thing, his attitude was that it meant that several of the younger members of the party (it's a big lodge, and I think there were two or three families who had taken it together) caught their first salmon - and were allowed to keep them, too. I wasn't going to get into a discussion about whether or not he ought to tell his two daughters that they hadn't actually caught a bona fide salmon after all!

He did say the estate staff were quite open about the fact that the fish being caught were farmers, so in that sense there was no attempt to disguise the fact at the time; in fact the guests were positively encouraged to remove as many of the fish as possible. But if, as you say, it's a Cat 3 system it seems rather disingenuous to show a picture of fishermen with a row of dead fish, as it would imply that anyone going there could expect to keep their catch. And I would certainly regard it as more than just disingenuous if these fish were included in any catch stats provided to potential tenants, thereby artificially inflating the figures (and people's expectations).

Edit PS - although the Forsa is Cat 3, it appears that the Ba system is in fact Cat 1.
    Last edited by charlieH; 14-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.

In fairness to Benmore estate they were calling them farmed escapees. Thankfully they were getting chapped. I totally agree though those fish shouldn't be counted. What chance is there that all 'wild' salmon on the West coast have at least some farmed salmon genes?

fair enough then if they were open about them,
    as for the gene pool , I guess these fish will spawn if given the chance , for my sins I spent 10 years working in a hatchery that produced smolts amongst other salmonid species destined for re stocking and open cage farms
    in that time it was tried through the industry to triploid salmon but the survival rates in the eggs after shocking (iodine bath) was terrible I remember hand picking thousands of dead eggs from a basket , rainbow trout however seemed ok as did brown trout
    , these farmed salmon would most likely be of Norwegian brood stock

Looks like it's been plucked from the fish counter at morrisons

screenshot_20200114-172122-png

why didn't they take the brown one out and the fly rods look like they never been used