Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  230
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tay Opening

Can anyone explain the sea trout getting caught recently. I can not believe they are fresh fish waiting till November to spawn. Are they kelts (not that you call brown trout kelts). Fish that did not spawn or will they just feed in the river and colour up before they spawn in the autumn or go back to sea. I suppose as they can still feed they do not have to be as big as salmon, but November is a long way away for a 2lb fish. Any thoughts as I can not see the benefit (for the fish) ,for the really early run sea trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Rocks View Post
    Can anyone explain the sea trout getting caught recently. I can not believe they are fresh fish waiting till November to spawn. Are they kelts (not that you call brown trout kelts). Fish that did not spawn or will they just feed in the river and colour up before they spawn in the autumn or go back to sea. I suppose as they can still feed they do not have to be as big as salmon, but November is a long way away for a 2lb fish. Any thoughts as I can not see the benefit (for the fish) ,for the really early run sea trout.
    They are caught fresh as a daisy every month of the year as in the winter for grayling there about and fresh..No idea if they come in early and just feed in the river but it would suggest so...probably safer than the bloody estuary which I fish regularly along with about a thousand seals !

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Picasso,
    I was there but left before you hooked the fish. My post was a light hearted reference to the video in order to differentiate from the film of the 1st fish at Taymount. I only made reference to you moving down the bank as "chasing" because the netsman actually ran after you. I didn't criticise you, neither did I even mention the netsman or his efforts. I was aware that the river was high and any fish played in those circumstances will take advantage of the current and drop back, it's only natural for that to happen.
    For what it's worth, I also felt sorry for the netsman as he was put in a difficult situation in front of an opening day crowd which for some could be very nerve wracking, worse still knowing that you are being videoed and published on social media.
    So, if I have offended you, I apologise. No harm was meant or implied. I've chased a fish downstream myself on many occasions, sometimes successful, sometimes ending in disaster ar*e over tit in the water. There's nothing wrong with that, it happens. But I have still been chasing the fish and someone describing it as such neither fazes nor offends me.
    All the best.
    Tom.
    Iím neither fazed or offended by your post , just irked that you chose to fabricate what happened? What does a man of your age and standing gain from posting that on social media ?

I think a duel at dawn is required.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Iím neither fazed or offended by your post , just irked that you chose to fabricate what happened? What does a man of your age and standing gain from posting that on social media ?
    Picasso,
    everyone saw the video and drew their own conclusions. I posted a throw away comment and didn't expect to gain anything from it. I don't expect anyone else took the post seriously as it was not meant to be so.The main focus was on the Taymount fish, not by me, by others. I have nothing more to say on the subject other than many things have been posted about me on this forum which irked me also. One particular troll has been banned. I just move on.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnW View Post
    I think a duel at dawn is required.
    Compare the respective numbers of posts.

There's no fool like a old fool as the saying goes

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    Compare the respective numbers of posts.
    What,s the relevance regarding our number of posts ?

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    What,s the relevance regarding our number of posts ?
    next will be how many salmon have you caught 🤣🤣🤣
    we pass this way but once ............

Ignoring the animosity in recent posts, and going back to the gillie holding his client's fish, I ponder this whole incident with a charitable outlook. Suppose for a moment the gillie does not know his client? Suppose he is concerned about the possibility of being portrayed on social media with a client who evidently does not know how to hold a fish for a photograph, or, perhaps, hold it motionless in the water until it regains its strength? Gillies are under threat as never before. Week after week, on our main rivers, they have to console anglers who have caught nothing, even when they know there is next to hee-haw in the river. They must be worried about their job security. So when a fish is caught, they will be anxious to make the event as cheerful and triumphant as possible whilst ensuring that the fish is held safely and returned safely. Questions of ownership of the fish seem to me to be irrelevant when the rule is that the fish must be returned, whatever its condition. We all wish there were more fish in the river, but there is an undisputed paucity of fish, and that fact means, I would suggest, that gillies deserve our compassion even if they get things wrong, or apparently wrong. Can you imagine what it must be like, harling day after day hoping for even a kelt to cheer up the client?

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast