Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aesthetics

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    I always thought camo would be the best colour for everything. Camo rods, reels, coats, waders, hats, face paint, the lot. Walking around in block colours is not the best really if you want to catch more fish. I thought the best colour for a rod was camo bottom half, white top half as, if we all do our job well, the fish should only see part of the top half of the rod above any skyline.

But camo looks really **** so I guess we all favour aesthetics above function. Is it a fashion thing? I never see fly fishermen wearing serious camo gear yet it seems like the right thing to do.
    Of course you don't see them, that's the whole point!!

Many years ago I used to do a fair bit of summer stalking of salmon with a freelined shrimp. I used to wear camo for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post

Many years ago I used to do a fair bit of summer stalking of salmon with a freelined shrimp. I used to wear camo for that.

Don't doubt it for a moment.

Attachment 41746

My favourite

Quote Originally Posted by bkupris View Post
    Attachment 41746

My favourite
    Understated to the point of invisibility

Cork is a material which is underrated. Apart from the odd wall covering I've never seen cork used in anything other than wine bottles and pin boards. Yet it is a beautiful material. Not sure about the modern trend of burnished cork rings but each to their own. Light cork with nickel silver floats my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post

Ill stick a camo floppy hat on and a dark or green long sleeved tshirt in summer for creeping about on the high overgrown banks with the mepp also try not to get caught against the skyline etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Ill stick a camo floppy hat on and a dark or green long sleeved tshirt in summer for creeping about on the high overgrown banks with the mepp also try not to get caught against the skyline etc.

It always amazes me that so few people do that! I'd bet you catch far more than most anglers! I used to find a small mepps deadly in low water, provided you were stealthy. I've carried a lot of the experience of catching fish on spinners and bait as a youngster in to my fly fishing and it continues to serve me well. It's very hard to catch a fish that's scared!

I only wish rod manufacturers cared about this aspect more and didn't feel the need to create flashy rods. The old G Loomis IMX range were the best I've seen.

It amazes me the number of anglers I have seen approach a pool on the backside and start to cast a fly or spinner into the water without first observing what is going on.
    Watercraft starts before reaching a pool and if more anglers thought more about this they would have a better chance of catching a fish.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post

Try a Blue shirt for this , but your right to keep low and out of sight when walking upstream past a pool you intend to fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beltra Badger View Post
    Try a Blue shirt for this , but your right to keep low and out of sight when walking upstream past a pool you intend to fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that to blend in with the sky ? Ive seen on youtube and pictures people fishing the tropics for bonefish etc try and blend with the sky.
    Ill usualy get into position then plant my mepp in the far bank trees and knacker the job anyway Aesthetics

Last edited by Rrrr; 14-01-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123