Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use braided #35 pound loop sleeves.

First you get the sleeve slid onto the T material.

Next you slide the loop onto the post of a tying vise and pull with enough force to test against slippage.

Once you have it tight place a nail knot made with #8 test Maxima at the very end of the sleeve.

Now trim the mono and the frayed braid.

I have landed hundreds of salmon from 5 pound to 50 pound on my tips with Zero failures.

T material (tungsten impregnated) is even softer than your fly line. A monofilament leader loop connected directly to a welded loop will eventually cut the welded loop. That is not my opinion it is a fact and it is why I trust my fishing to braided mono loops.

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    The money spent on flights, accommodation ect! For the chance of losing a fish of a lifetime on a dodgy welded loop! I'd be spending 30 on a shop bought manufatured one all day long.
    Id agree but where do you buy 20 feet lengths of t20?

Quote Originally Posted by simoncassidy View Post
    Which week?
    3rd week in June Simon. You any notions of going yourself?

Hair straighteners for me. Dont commit and cut your lengths of T straight away . Also i apply some Aqua sure to give it extra smooth finish which will also add extra strength. The first couple of times i done it i ended up cutting them off and throwing them away as after i learned the technique with the hair straighteners i got the loops looking pretty good. Had fish on them and i have had to straighten a few hooks whilst using them after getting snagged on the bottom and the loops held.

I use the method the steelhead guides use - nail knot twice to 30lb mono, then make a loop in the mono. Trim nail knots and cover with supergue or aquaseal.

If you hot weld the stuff with an electric gun at 550 degrees there is nothing dodgy about welding your own loops. It is what the Rio Level T stuff has been designed to do. The loops you can produce are at least in every way equal to the loops that come from the Rio factory. I used to use a gas heater and did sometimes get loop failures. Since I went to electric with thermostatic heat control I have never yet had a loop fail me.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by Petekd View Post
    Id agree but where do you buy 20 feet lengths of t20?
    Not 20ft granted only 15. But come factory welded

Guideline Connect Skagit T-Tips – Glasgow Angling Centre

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I use braided #35 pound loop sleeves.

First you get the sleeve slid onto the T material.

Next you slide the loop onto the post of a tying vise and pull with enough force to test against slippage.

Once you have it tight place a nail knot made with #8 test Maxima at the very end of the sleeve.

Now trim the mono and the frayed braid.

I have landed hundreds of salmon from 5 pound to 50 pound on my tips with Zero failures.

T material (tungsten impregnated) is even softer than your fly line. A monofilament leader loop connected directly to a welded loop will eventually cut the welded loop. That is not my opinion it is a fact and it is why I trust my fishing to braided mono loops.
    I make my own sleeves out of 50lb braid but otherwise do exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Tie 3 separate nail knots about a centimetre apart over a loop in the T material. I use 15lb mono cause it stretches. Then cover with aquasure or similar. Do the same at the other end.

These loops will stand up to big tarpon - so salmon are no problem.
    Lee cummings who was a rio rep once told me at the open day in GAC that this was his prefered method, used it for many tips now , no issues at all...

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Not 20ft granted only 15. But come factory welded

Guideline Connect Skagit T-Tips Glasgow Angling Centre
    15ft of T-18 is hard enough to cast, 20/20 must be a real ***** on your timing. Lol.

Using those super heavy long tips certainly screws up my casting for a day or two afterwards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast