Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not Much for Australia ?

I am not sure if I am on the right track, but the UK doesn't seem to being doing much visibly for Australia in its current predicament ?

I would of thought we could of offered a British Naval vessel with helicopters to stand off the coast or a coordinated fund raising effort to purchase new fire fighting kit.

I realise AU is a wealthy country and these may only be token gestures, but they still count for something.

Perhaps Foreign 'Aid' is all about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer - and AU doesn't fall in the second category ?

Oh well.

I think the navy and itís vessels are otherwise engaged at the moment and for the foreseeable future

if it had been a burning concrete structure were people worshipped a man made deity, instead of the Environment. Maybe they'd have done something then.

As such, Oz falls into the same category as the Amazon. Out of sight, out of mind and over there.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmy View Post
    I think the navy and itís vessels are otherwise engaged at the moment and for the foreseeable future
    I take your point, with the Strait of Hormuz etc , but you would of thought we had at least one vessel in that part of the world that could be diverted for a few weeks. Perhaps I am completely wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    I take your point, with the Strait of Hormuz etc , but you would of thought we had at least one vessel in that part of the world that could be diverted for a few weeks. Perhaps I am completely wrong about that.
    Hi Offshore,

I don't think you are wrong, we should offer some help to AU, they are Commonwealth and have helped us in the past. And maybe now we are at last about to leave the EU we should be looking to strengthen connections with the Commonwealth which the EU rules denied us. The Gulf is a watch and remove situation, not a shooting war we were not invited to, I'd say let Uncle Sam push on with whatever secretive plans he has.

M
    Last edited by HOWKEMOOT; 10-01-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

We were talking about this at work yesterday, i rekon distance has alot to do with it. Usualy countries would lend fire fighting aircraft etc but getting them to aus would be abit tricky.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

With 50 commissioned vessels of their own another one of ours is not going to make much difference.
    The Fleet | Royal Australian Navy

I know Aus is a vast country but i think what they need is an army of bulldozers to make fire breaks across the country,and also build many lakes that would store the water for when/if they ever get rain again.
    Did the yanks not seed clouds during the vietnam war to saturate the ground to make the NVA less mobile on the ho chi minh trail,and to ruin crops.
    Between the Aus fires and the burning of the Amazon not good news for planet earth and its inhabitants,although the Aus fires are a natural regular event.

Listened to an Oz resident in one of the fire zones who was talking on the radio. He said that Bush fires had been around for years and that fire breaks where used to control the fires. He said the Greens had stopped this burning and this was one of the main reasons for the excessive spread of the fires. Just saying

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Yep preventing burning on their own part would have stopped all this chaos and damage.

We couldn't really help mch tbf. There's plenty of things they could have done initially to stop the outbreak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast