Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  112
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moment of the decade

morning all, as the year draws to a close and with it the end of a decade , take a look back through the last 10 years and pick out your moment/s that stood out from an angling perspective

For me I have been lucky enough to be able to choose a few instances, top of the stack a 30lb salmon of a lifetime for me on the 1st feb 2010 at newtyle on a freezing cold day where I had camped in front of the fire in the hut as my waders were leaking and caught it late in the day on a "last cast" from the steps pool

then closely followed in august 2011 by a spanking 23lbr on a wee size 14 flame thrower , the fight I'll never forget made me late for work that morning 🤣

and to add a third , last June watching my son land his first salmon aged 11
    it's quite sad to think back actually to see how its went , the start of the decade bursting with fish 2010 record year , ans now like a burst ball 😪
    wonder what the story will read like in 2030 ?? a very uncertain fate lies ahead of our iconic fish
    anyway all the best for the new year and I look forward to your stories
    craig
    we pass this way but once ............

Probably in spring 2017, a big easterly with ice about, everyone else had gone home as it was so cold. I found a pair of gloves in the bottom of my bag so decided to stick it out. Hooked 1 and lost it after 5 mins, about 10 mins later i hooked a second tide fresh fish and landed it, then about 30 mins later i hooked something big. It ran to the top corner of the pool like a train and there was no stopping it, then back at me, then up the pool again. There was just no slowing this fish down and i had the drag locked up. I could see the rap in its mouth as it ran straight past me in knee high water then turned and fell off. It must have been mid to late teens but scrapped like nothing else ive hooked.
    Pic of the one i managed to land that day.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The day the government decided to stop coastal mixed stock netting stations,

Now just get fish farms on land and we may begin to get somewhere

Happy New Year, one and all

Hoping for better fishing in the times to come
    Elibank

Two 15lb English springers in a morning or a 17-18lb sea trout on a surface lure for me. Been slim pickings in between mind!

Had to be 2018 as the year I finally broke the 20lb barrier with a fly caught 25lber. I had caught s few 20s before but never on the flee.inyo the bargain it was another first an April Springer.
    Then to top the year off I had a 25lb common skate on a spinning rod in loch Leven my first 20lb plus sea fish.
    Not a huge fish as skate goes bit on light tackle it was quite a feat.
    It's all about the taking part fish or blank we all get good and bad but we all go back for more.
    Happy new year to all the forum members and tightlines for the next decade whatever it should bring.

2002add0-d000-441f-a658-fe09c00e525a-jpeg
    Iíve had the worst returns in 10 years this year and hoping this is just a blip.
    In 2018 I caught my biggest sea trout to date around midnight of a June night - looking forward to more of these classic nights.
    If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk....if you want to be happy for life, go fishing.

For me it's the first 12 days of March 14.

Started off with a 13lb fish from the Mill Pool at Inglesmaldie on the 1st. Sadly a bleeder but was amazing smoked Followed that up with an 11lb licer from the Lower Bridges at Pert on the 10th.

This was the one that does it for me Headed down to our bit of the Southie on the 12th. I had a plan that didn't involve our lower beat. Changed my mind for some reason and went down to fish it. On my third cast was into this big beauty.

For me it's still the most pristine and beautiful fish I think I've ever landed.
    southie-springer-jpg
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

That is one of the nicest looking fis i have seen on this forum. Absolute perfection Westie.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    For me it's the first 12 days of March 14.

Started off with a 13lb fish from the Mill Pool at Inglesmaldie on the 1st. Sadly a bleeder but was amazing smoked Followed that up with an 11lb licer from the Lower Bridges at Pert on the 10th.

This was the one that does it for me Headed down to our bit of the Southie on the 12th. I had a plan that didn't involve our lower beat. Changed my mind for some reason and went down to fish it. On my third cast was into this big beauty.

For me it's still the most pristine and beautiful fish I think I've ever landed.
    southie-springer-jpg
    Thats a text book perfect springer if ever ive seen one.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast