Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8

Default Small spate switch rod setup

Looking into buying a switch rod for next season and was looking for recommendations for a full setup Inc reel, lines etc with a realistic budget nothing over the top (£600 max).

Will be used on small Irish spate rivers in all conditions when suits, would prefer to buy one reel and load it with a good multi tip etc to save carrying around spare spools.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work

Quote Originally Posted by roeboy View Post
    Looking into buying a switch rod for next season and was looking for recommendations for a full setup Inc reel, lines etc with a realistic budget nothing over the top (£600 max).

Will be used on small Irish spate rivers in all conditions when suits, would prefer to buy one reel and load it with a good multi tip etc to save carrying around spare spools.
    Have a look at the 10 foot salmologic 16 gram with the added extension handle and a short cut head, a reel is a reel save your money and spend it on the rod and lone and buy a good used reel with the difference

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Canít beat a Shakespeare oracle switch rod for performance/price
    Airflo rage floating line and selection of airflo tips or Barrio integrated switch line with tips.

Has the Airflo Nantec 11'3; for a couple of years, cracking piece of kit with a Rage head/Barrio Line, Flogged it on here early summer as I bought a Hardy Swift II(2nd hand, the old one). It's an all round casting/FISHING tool which I love. Selection of Airlfo Rage and Scandi heads as per season and location.

I can fish our wee spate water with it comfortable and also fish big rivers in summer conditions with it and not think that I'm not covering the water effectively. Probably the nicest all round rod I've ever owned.....I'm not the only one on here that thinks the same.

The reel....as long as it does the job then it's just their to hold the line!

Best of luck in your search.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I use the Salmologic 10'10" 18g switch, fantastic rod matched with the 18g short cut heads or the 18g integrated shooter line and matching poly tips, its a completely balanced outfit ready to go.
    img_3276-jpeg
    Last edited by bankwheel; 30-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Still have a Beaulah classic for sale 10'6" new if your interested.

Sewinfly...................

Sewinfly,
    Did you use much of the Graham's of Inverness Seatrout (or was it Grilse) special that you purchased last year? If so, how did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mepps4me View Post
    Sewinfly,
    Did you use much of the Graham's of Inverness Seatrout (or was it Grilse) special that you purchased last year? If so, how did you find it?
    HI

I bought the Grilse and what a great rod to.Only landed trout intended for salmon, would of put my catch returns up 😉

Such an easy rod to use and fishing the Usk covered all the water when the river was low or carrying a few inches above summer level.

Fished with a Mike Barrio Switch line highly recommended. Will be buying the Seatrout rod before the season starts.
    For the price a great rod 👍

Sewinfly. .......
    Last edited by sewinfly; 30-12-2019 at 08:43 PM.

@ Roeboy.....do you want to overhead cast (single handed) and spey cast or are you happy just spey casting all the time?

I ask as this makes a big difference when choosing a real switch rod, eg rated 16, 18 or 20g, or a small double hander rated heavier for salmon lines (IMHO of course )
    Last edited by Eminem; 31-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Spey casting is what it will be used for as I have plenty of single handed rods already just something to add to the attack,

Not too fond on the colour of the salmologic blanks but have heard good reports of the oracle, still will be buying a rice reel to match the rod was looking at the marquis 1 but still think it might be too heavy for anything 11ft?