Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default Fulling superglue

Has anybody experienced fulling superglue going off very rapidly in the new shaped bottle ?
    Since they changed the bottle shape, I have had 4+ bottles gluing the lid on after first use, having then to be opened with pliers ?
    I think I have sussed what it is? I have always wiped the excess off the brush on the inside of the neck of the bottle, this leaves a small amount of glue on the top edge, which when I put the top back on glues it solid. This inturn doesn't allow a proper seal to be formed...so the rest of the bottle goes off ?
    I have used Cyno. for years in work, and am usually very careful , and tidy about looking after the storage bottle !
    I have a couple of old style bottles, and several before them, where this has never been a problem.
    In fact one of them is still very usable, as in better than all the recently purchased bottles ?
    Normally I have two bottles on the go, one new and one older, with a turn around of every 3-4 months...the last two have become almost unusable in 3 & 6 weeks ?
    I put the first two down as possible old stock, but with three more rapidly heading south, bought from a different source, I am wondering is it the bottle design?

What do you use ?

I moved to Fulling from Zap a gap...as, I felt, it gave better penetration as an initial coat?

Any help highly appreciated

Mel.....

lowforcefly, I've allways used Zap a Gap glue and never had a problem with it.I favour the bottle with a brush in the lid, but happy to use the normal dropper style nozzle if the brush version isn't available.Zap a Gap I find is more flexible and suits line repairs, splicing, and loop making better and its genuinely waterproof.A lot of glues sold as Angling Glue most certainly are not!.
    Stick to it!,Pedro.

Have the same problem with Gorilla glue and gel. At circa £5 a pop not happy😣

I just use Loctite with the brush on applicator. Never had any issues with it and I just top up the brush bottle from a larger bottle. Got a 2 pack from Asda for about £3.

Default Superglue

Thanks for the responses folks !

I didn't have a real problem with Zap A Gap Pedro, just found the Fulling less viscose, which allowed it to penetrate the winds of threads better, (seemingly?).
    It was part of my attempt to cut the size of my fly heads, as I was a bu**er for over application, and struggled with getting cone heads neat ?

Know what you mean Tenet ! I am regularly getting 'The look' for spending so much on fly tying materials ?
    Originating from Pedro's neck of the woods, I'm a firm follower of the 'Being Careful' philosophy. not tight...just careful !
    More annoying is when I get chance to do some tying, and can't get the top off the bl**dy glue , and when do get the top off, find it is so thick it won't penetrate the wraps, and just sits there as a blob ?

Perry, viscosity wise the original 'Loctite Cynoacrylate' would be perfect, never thought of using it for tying ? I know from use in work, it didn't like water, and had next to no gap filling capacity. It would get you away in an emergency, but not for a permanent fix ?
    I will look into it....Cheers ?

Mel....

Quote Originally Posted by lowforcefly View Post
    Thanks for the responses folks !

I didn't have a real problem with Zap A Gap Pedro, just found the Fulling less viscose, which allowed it to penetrate the winds of threads better, (seemingly?).
    It was part of my attempt to cut the size of my fly heads, as I was a bu**er for over application, and struggled with getting cone heads neat ?

Know what you mean Tenet ! I am regularly getting 'The look' for spending so much on fly tying materials ?
    Originating from Pedro's neck of the woods, I'm a firm follower of the 'Being Careful' philosophy. not tight...just careful !
    More annoying is when I get chance to do some tying, and can't get the top off the bl**dy glue , and when do get the top off, find it is so thick it won't penetrate the wraps, and just sits there as a blob ?

Perry, viscosity wise the original 'Loctite Cynoacrylate' would be perfect, never thought of using it for tying ? I know from use in work, it didn't like water, and had next to no gap filling capacity. It would get you away in an emergency, but not for a permanent fix ?
    I will look into it....Cheers ?

Mel....
    Thank god Iím not the only wan with the same probably itís a no for me withfulling mill super glue nothing but issues

Loctite is by far the best fly tying glue imho

I also use loctite the one with the brush in the bottle, I take the brush out give it a wee wipe and trim 3\4 of the bristles off I pretty much only use it for putting a coat on floss heads then varnish over

Certainly find some better than others but they all last longer if you keep.them in the fridge when not in use.

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk