Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Of course it is always dependable on rod, but Iíve used also 9/10 rods with modern deep bending action with fast recovery working fine 450gr skagit and 10g scandi head, and with pure skagit needed some 625gr or more. Usually skagits are about 4gís heavier.

I think it is also a casting technique thing, as with a skagit cast when the line is laying in the water and you cast with a short stroke, the heavier line has to load the rod, but with a spey cast when forming a big d-loop the tip is also raising more from the water and therefore the tip weight also affects to loading the rod.

But of course, it is not that simple to say what works for someone, as there is so different type of rods, lines and casters. I had 13í4Ē 6/7/8/ weight cnd solstice (slow/medium fast) which was totally joy to load with 275gr opst commando and use rio versitips with it. Now Iím thinking buying a 425gr opst commando to Mackenzie dtx g2 Atlas 12í7Ē #8 (fast) and use it with the Loop SDS heads.

Just had discussion about this with a frind. He said he is using 450gr Rio skagit gamechanger at his 13í6Ē #8/9 G. Loomis asquith and it is sweet with it, but when he tried 450gr Airflo fist the rod loaded way too deep. So the loading of the rod is also depending about tapering of the line and how the rod and the line feel together depends about the action of a rod.

And to add my previous message, my Mackenzie Atlasí shooting head window is 35-38g and what I had time to test it before the ice came, it was beatiful with 37-38g guideline 3dís, so I think I will make my skagit setup quite near that for a start.

Totally confused now!!🤯

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrgunn View Post
    Totally confused now!!勞
    I donít blame you

But this is so confusing because there isnít ĒstandardĒ action or grain window for rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamora View Post
    Just had discussion about this with a frind. He said he is using 450gr Rio skagit gamechanger at his 13í6Ē #8/9 G. Loomis asquith and it is sweet with it, but when he tried 450gr Airflo fist the rod loaded way too deep. So the loading of the rod is also depending about tapering of the line and how the rod and the line feel together depends about the action of a rod.

And to add my previous message, my Mackenzie Atlasí shooting head window is 35-38g and what I had time to test it before the ice came, it was beatiful with 37-38g guideline 3dís, so I think I will make my skagit setup quite near that for a start.
    A few grams over wont bother most rods, try it you might be pleasantly surprised, I have a very relaxed casting stroke , the more feedback the rod gives me the better, I can cast off the tip with shootin heads also devoting alot of my fishing time to learn that technique, I just prefer the slower deeper load I get from what some people refer to as skandit lines, the cross over lines like rio scandi, next cast zone, and godshall custom skandit give, I also love inter changeable tips and at times heavy flies

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Iím mostly a shooting line user, I think 90% of the time Iím using guideline 3dís or others. Only at the high water I turn to skagits. I learned from Miki ńikšs that it is good to feel the right kind of ĒpullĒ in the line when offering a fly to a salmon, and it has been a good advice, at least for me. I think thatís what I loose when using skagits, they tend to slow things a bit too much and I donít like to use float belly lines with them. But you never know what might happen, maybe I try something new next season.

But sorry OT, hopefully the starter gets some ideas to his setup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12