Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Suggestions for 40lb backing line for king salmon

I am looking to fill a reel approx size of loop classic 9/11 for Chinook fishing and have been advised 40lb braid is suffice.
    I am looking for suggestions of reasonably priced backing approx 250/300yds.
    I was thinking about power pro but have not used that as a backing before..

Guideline PE Backing if you willing to spend money but braid is braid and any reasonably priced band will do the job

If you manage to get the braid don't get your hands near it if you hook a big Chinook and it runs you into the backing. Braid has the effect of cheese wire.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyscotsman View Post
    I am looking to fill a reel approx size of loop classic 9/11 for Chinook fishing and have been advised 40lb braid is suffice.
    I am looking for suggestions of reasonably priced backing approx 250/300yds.
    I was thinking about power pro but have not used that as a backing before..
    Loop Classics absolutely eat up backing, you might find it will take a lot more to fill it.

Rio 50lb gel spun backing is really good stuff, but pricey. I've used berkley spider wire 50lb for the past few seasons without any complaints and a 300yd spool is not too expensive

I use eBay sourced ĎChineseí Power Pro spectra backing for saltwater regularly and this summer for Chinook As well.

It is really cheap and works just fine. I reckon it comes in a bit thicker than advertised so I buy 50 or 65 Lb. sometimes the spools also contain less than stated - so I buy a minimum of 500m.

If you donít trust the eBay stuff then have a look at sea fishing suppliers eg Veals Mail Order. i used to buy 300m spools of decent 50lb and 65lb braid from them for £19.99 I think it was Spider wire.

Iíve used spectra/gsp braid for more than a decade for lots of saltwater fishing and have never cut my fingers - if you use 50lb plus and a bit of common sense it isnít a worry. I did cut myself once when zander fishing but that was with 25lb and that stuff really is like cheese wire !

Amazon, Dalaman backing & step it up to 60 or 80lb as itís quite thin.

I filled all my reels for going to Norway with 40lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300yds of 40lb Tuf Line Dacron on amazon for £26, with free delivery on Prime. Thats just a cursory look about and the first thing that came to eye.
    I'd take Dacron every time over Gel Spun, as long as space isn't an issue ( or you have the luxury of choice!).
    There's other stuff there too in the form of various Gel Spun's etc, worlds your oyster really.
    Pedro.

Stop Press, 437yds of 65lb Ding Bear Strong Power braided line for £11.49 with free delivery on Prime.
    Just gets better!
    Last edited by Rennie; 19-11-2019 at 07:40 PM.

I would use Fireline, very reliable and is a tad understated on BS, I have tried many braids and fireline is the most reliable by miles and will last years.
    peter

Vision dacspun backing ...50lb 300yds...£40 @ GAC.

Mel....

Cheers for the replies...Will have a nosy at your suggestions.