Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmon Reel

Default Salmon Reel

Hi, I am looking to purchase a 10/11 size of salmon reel for my 50th birthday and don’t mind spending up to £900 for it. It would get used on the Tay and also trips to Norway where it needs to hold a fair amount of backing.
    What would be the recommendations ?
    Last edited by Kevinfish13; 10-11-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinfish13 View Post
    Hi, I am looking to purchase a salmon reel for my 50th birthday and don’t mind spending up to £900 for it. It would get used on the Tay and also trips to Norway where it needs to hold a fair amount of backing.
    What would be the recommendations ?
    You could buy 3 danielsson control for that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’ll have a wee look at them.

The new coloured edition hardy cascapedias look really nice. Something abit diffrent.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Woodbank has a boxed hardy fortuna he is looking to move on .drop him a message

I vote for the LOOP Classic, great reels with good looks and sound amazing when you have a fish on. I have a few of them and they've seen me through trips to Russia and Norway with big fish.

Alternatively, as mentioned above, the Hardy Cascapedia.

If you want something really flash, get an Abel Super 12 with a mad paint scheme!

If you want something a little different why not look at the new Special Edition Hardy Perfect 4.5 personalised within your price range . I think Glasgow Angler’s have them in stock. Could be an investment. Made in the U.K much improved quality than their Korean reels.

The best reel ever made is without a doubt a Charlton Reel and an 8/10 9550 Mako is not much more than your budget although you will have to factor a customs charge if sent outwith USA. This reel is something special indeed, will more than cover all eventualities, for both fresh and salt water fishing and looked after will last a lifetime!

Failing that my personal choice would be an Einarsson Invictus 8/10, followed by a Loop Opti.

Also if you want some leftover cash the Danielson takes some beating. In my opinion this reel is Pound for pound the best reel out there?

Lastly a Hardy Perfect which is the go to “noise” reel, its reputation precedes itself and will hold its value pretty well too!

Having said that with the budget you are talking about and with the exception of the “Mako” you would be best, if possible, to go along to a recognised dealer and see them in the flesh as there are many good, and of course not so good, reels too choose from. Good luck on your search!
    Last edited by KChrome; 10-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Tibor Signature 11/12 as they are exceptionaly good large arbour fly reels.

Quote Originally Posted by KChrome View Post
    The best reel ever made is without a doubt a Charlton Reel and an 8/10 9550 Mako is not much more than your budget although you will have to factor a customs charge if sent outwith USA. This reel is something special indeed, will more than cover all eventualities, for both fresh and salt water fishing and looked after will last a lifetime!

Failing that my personal choice would be an Einarsson Invictus 8/10, followed by a Loop Opti.

Also if you want some leftover cash the Danielson takes some beating. In my opinion this reel is Pound for pound the best reel out there?

Lastly a Hardy Perfect which is the go to “noise” reel, its reputation precedes itself and will hold its value pretty well too!

Having said that with the budget you are talking about and with the exception of the “Mako” you would be best, if possible, to go along to a recognised dealer and see them in the flesh as there are many good, and of course not so good, reels too choose from. Good luck on your search!
    I agree they are the best modern made fly reels of all time, but completely unnecessary for salmon fishing imho.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast