Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Tweed catches.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    west highlands
    Posts
    1,649

    Default

    Our group of four used to take the first week in Nov from 1975 /1990 in the upper Tweed. Our worst return was 12 ,our best was 26. Half silvers ,half kippers, and returned.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    work, pub or where big salmon lurk
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    It's not just the Tweed Marty, it's changed everywhere. I long ago stopped my November foray to the Annan for that very reason, nae fish and defo no fresh ones.

    Your right about the main runs being May, June and July though, that seems to be the cream of the season now. In fairness, some of us did get a late grilse run in mid August this year.

    I guess we just have to accept the change. Not the first time the Tweed has been through this though according to the records.
    no some of the old tweed netsmen can remember their older crew stating that the season ended end of may, with the boats pulled up for the season, funny the no late fish trend , has hit everywhere all at once, I mean the early fish are more vulnerable, regarding being the river longer, warm water etc, where as the late fresh fish come in silver, colour up quick and spawn in probably a quarter of the time, nature works in strange ways at times
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    work, pub or where big salmon lurk
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Holroyd View Post
    Our group of four used to take the first week in Nov from 1975 /1990 in the upper Tweed. Our worst return was 12 ,our best was 26. Half silvers ,half kippers, and returned.
    I remember it well jack, mind we were 1984-92 big fish and as you say half good fresh ones half kippers (they all went in the bag) and black large seatrout some looked ok but when held up all the eggs seemed to sink to the bottom of the belly, we used to look forward all season to last week in October and November on upper tweed, packed it up when it began to resemble the mary celeste
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cotswolds
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    Also fished in the late 70' thru to the late 80's early 90's on the upper Tweed. Caught my first Tweed salmon on Fairnilee and then fished Sunderland Hall water for a number of years, then with Ian Fraser at Peebles and then with Andy Dickison on Glenormiston. Perhaps rose tinted glasses but we always had a good time and invariably caught fish with a good number silver.
    Took 3 days on Holylee a few years back on my way to fish the Stinchar meeting Kenny (kingfisher) and was well looked after by John (?) Melrose the ghillie and managed a fine c20lb fish.
    Such a shame to see the decline in catches and the subsequent decline in fishers. A lot of riparian owners will be taking a reality check and wondering what exactly their subscriptions to the Tweed fishery board are for.
    Last edited by tenet; 11-11-2019 at 09:46 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    Also fished in the late 70' thru to the late 80's early 90's on the upper Tweed. Caught my first Tweed salmon on Fairnilee and then fished Sunderland Hall water for a number of years, then with Ian Fraser at Peebles and then with Andy Dickison on Glenormiston. Perhaps rose tinted glasses but we always had a good time and invariably caught fish with a good number silver.
    Took 3 days on Holylee a few years back on my way to fish the Stinchar meeting Kenny (kingfisher) and was well looked after by John (?) Melrose the ghillie and managed a fine c20lb fish.
    Such a shame to see the decline in catches and the subsequent decline in fishers. A lot of riparian owners will be taking a reality check and wondering what exactly their subscriptions to the Tweed fishery board are for.
    I know totally off subject....but how were water levels on the Stinchar when you met up wi Kenny? Were they, perchance, a tad high??

    Funnily enough, myself and another, mutual friend were blethering on the phone earlier and I suggested that a new scientific principle should be enacted.....the Kingfisher Effect. That is Kenny + salmon river = spate

    (I shall just get mi coat now!)

    Anyhoo...back to topic lads!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cotswolds
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    I know totally off subject....but how were water levels on the Stinchar when you met up wi Kenny? Were they, perchance, a tad high??

    Funnily enough, myself and another, mutual friend were blethering on the phone earlier and I suggested that a new scientific principle should be enacted.....the Kingfisher Effect. That is Kenny + salmon river = spate

    (I shall just get mi coat now!)

    Anyhoo...back to topic lads!
    Bad grammar on my part Westie - met Kenny on Holylee. Water levels were spot on.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    Bad grammar on my part Westie - met Kenny on Holylee. Water levels were spot on.
    That was a miracle then Tenet....you are truly blessed!

    (I'm in REAL trouble now, lol)
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    edzell
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    I know totally off subject....but how were water levels on the Stinchar when you met up wi Kenny? Were they, perchance, a tad high??

    Funnily enough, myself and another, mutual friend were blethering on the phone earlier and I suggested that a new scientific principle should be enacted.....the Kingfisher Effect. That is Kenny + salmon river = spate

    (I shall just get mi coat now!)

    Anyhoo...back to topic lads!
    Kenny having a cast in low Crystal clear water in October.
    It can be done.
    Never saw a fish.
    Friend came down the next day and had 2 to 17lb!

    received_2345008275597246-jpeg

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    work, pub or where big salmon lurk
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Rocks View Post
    Spent the weekend in Peebles. Walked the Town water and then Cardrona. Never saw a fish. Talked to 3 anglers, only one had seen a fish in 2 days. Water on Saturday looked perfect. Did not think it was possible not to even see a fish in November. Tweed looks to be having a very poor backend.
    its so sad, first week in November was my favourite of the season, big reasonably fresh fish running, it was great sport
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

  10. #20

    Default Tweed catches.

    Biggish water (25) at Cardrona today, good height but nothing seen or touched, bar a couple of trout. On the drive home, took some consolation from watching some nice trout/sea trout ascending the cauld on the Leithen Water. Changed days......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dunbar; 12-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •