Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  344
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I like to fish with whatever method is allowed. I have flogged a pool on the Tweed with the fly and not had a touch. Picked up the spinning rod and caught 2 in 2 casts. Next season , I might not have that option or not until July. There's likely to be a lot of time sat in the hut chatting when conditions aren't suitable for the fly particularly on the Bottom Tweed. Catch returns will suffer and so will revenue , same as it has on the Upper Tweed in late season last few years.

I wonder what it is about spinning and backache ? I can fish fly all day without a twinge but pick up a spinning rod and my back is hurting after 20 minutes. It seems there's quite a few who suffer the same. Maybe if we spent a bit more time spinning it would cure it ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    I wonder what it is about spinning and backache ? I can fish fly all day without a twinge but pick up a spinning rod and my back is hurting after 20 minutes. It seems there's quite a few who suffer the same. Maybe if we spent a bit more time spinning it would cure it ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Aww I'm the same budge.

I was told once that it was the spinning rod itself was the problem with the butt being too long. You were bending twice at the waist to cast and then hold the rod under your arm. Some said it was from fishing off a high Bank but bending over slightly to keep the tip of the rod closer to the river. It didn't really matter what I did. My lower back would be aching and I'd be grumpy as hell. There was no fish worth that torture for me!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Love dawn , but hate dusk.
    Much the same as I like spring , but am pretty ambivalent about autumn.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Aww I'm the same budge.

I was told once that it was the spinning rod itself was the problem with the butt being too long. You were bending twice at the waist to cast and then hold the rod under your arm. Some said it was from fishing off a high Bank but bending over slightly to keep the tip of the rod closer to the river. It didn't really matter what I did. My lower back would be aching and I'd be grumpy as hell. There was no fish worth that torture for me!
    I'm the same, years of many catches on the spinning rod and I can't bear much time with it now. Apparently it's due to posture whilst spinning. I did give the spinning rod a first outing on the Don one evening is September.....caught f'eck all but was walking the dogs at the same time.

Research suggests that using a multiplier sorts the whole posture issue out. Back in the day all I used on the Tay was an Abu 6500ca early doors. Stupidly sold all my multipliers years ago.

Fell heir to a a mint Ambassadeur 5001 C a few months ago which I was going to punt on....think I'm going to keep it and spin a bit more next season.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I've a wee Abu 6000 around somewhere.

Maybe I'll put it on the ugly stik next season and give some devons a swing.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567