Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  417
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    Well, after 64 years of fishing and 61 years since my first salmon, one could think that there is not much more one can learn, but there is! First there is one important factor that one tends to forget: age and its effect on health! I had to cancel my Spring trip to the Spey, due to heart problems and a trip to the gorgeous Rauma river in Norway for the same reasons! Very frustrating indeed! But living on the banks of another great Norwegian river, the Gaula, I could still look forward to some great fly fishing! What I had not factored in were the weather conditions, which led to the fishing being cancelled for three weeks in the best period, due to lack of water and high water temperatures! Earlier in my «salmon fisherman’s life», these unconvenient events would have made me mad! But this time, they did not!! For the first time, I could actually take the time to reflect on the situation and I did come to a great conclusion, which is « it’s not the hours you put in fishing that give you the greatest satisfaction, but what you put in these hours!!». Fishing with a good friend, meeting with very interesting people and some not interesting at all, travelling to places you would never had been to, were it not for fishing, for me the Pechora in Central Russia to the Karluk in Alaska, the Rio Gallegos, the Rio Grande and Irigoyen in South America, many great places in Scotland and Ireland, so many places which gave me a solid number of catches and memories! So that’s what I learned, or more precisely took the time to reflect upon this year! As to my catches for 2019, a very modest figure of five fish, with a best of about 13 Ibs, but that’s not the important thing! For the first time, while fishing, no stress, no mobile phone, just nature and me! That what fishing should be about! It took me a very long time to understand it!
    Sorry for those of you who disagree and still just see fishing success as the number of catches! I am just an old f..t who remembers what his tutors tried to teach him: «just enjoy yourself»!
    An excellent post G...however it saddens me to hear of your health issues. The longer we have been fishing for salmon the more likely we are to have to put up with 'old age' taking it's toll. My left shoulder was causing issues the last few weeks of the season casting left hand up, to the extent that I didn't fish a favourite pool on the South Esk on closing day which has always been kind to me. Though my shoulder would ease but it's got steadily worse so will be making an appointment with the Dr this week.

That said, I'm kind of glad reading your post, we ended up on the same number of fish for the year and all mine were within a 70 mile radius of home.

I hope your health improves and look forward to seeing your reports next season!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

After 14 years fishing the same stretch of the same river I finally began doing something I've thought of the entire time. I've been fishing it all wrong and overlooking what I thought of as marginal holding water. This fall I began working that water which people walk past or wade through while headed to the "Really good spots" and the results were 5 steelhead and 9 char!

I may be slow but I eventually catch on

Quote Originally Posted by Gauldalen View Post
    ... For the first time, while fishing, no stress, no mobile phone, just nature and me! That what fishing should be about! It took me a very long time to understand it!
    Sorry for those of you who disagree and still just see fishing success as the number of catches! I am just an old f..t who remembers what his tutors tried to teach him: «just enjoy yourself»!
    I couldn’t agree more for that’s pretty much my answer whenever someone asks me why I do it. Catching a fish is bonus not a necessity so long as there’s a chance I might. I have seen or experienced many beautiful, thought provoking and sometimes challenging things that would never have happened otherwise to add to the longer list of places and people I’ve been to and met.

This is a refreshing and enjoyable post.
    I have learnt a few things this year. Firstly to always completely fish out a cast. With modern shooting heads I have found myself thinking about the next cast too much and how far it will go rather than fishing and focusing on the fly actually in the water. I have caught a couple of fish long after I would have normally recast.
    Secondly I have really simplified my fly choice to a handful of choices depending on conditions. For my most successful week of the year I used one pattern all week, a small copper bodied ally. Not worrying about changing the fly and fishing a pattern I have complete faith in means I fish better
    As Hardy reels observed, on a small river I fish in the autumn I have fished water I usually have not fished much and had success. If left undisturbed salmon will sit in surprisingly shallow water.
    Finally like others have stated I love salmon fishing, being out on glorious rivers, fishing with good friends and enjoying the beauty of nature.

Default What have I learnt this season?

I have learnt that being a fly only angler has seriously damaged my catch rate and it has also limited my options and days spent on the river in previous seasons.

This year, although I still fished the fly most of the time, I decided to fish the spinner and worm when conditions were far better suited rather than just plugging away with the fly knowing my chances were slim. As a result of this, my catch rate increased and my enjoyment of fishing also increased. Instead trying to convince myself that it was fine just to be outdoors, I went out thinking I was actually going to catch something. With that in mind, there was never time in the season (unless the river was in full spate etc) where I felt I was wasting my time. It also gave me a bit more confidence of catching something whenever I did venture out.

It'll be interesting to see if my catch returns are similar next season using all methods available again. I'll certainly look forward to given it try!
    Last edited by PerryPoker; 10-11-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Try to erase from your mind that the Autumn is the peak salmon season - like it used to be on most rivers I fish. Something has changed.

I have spent the past 4 or 5 seasons keeping my powder (fishing budget) largely dry for the Autumn and then finding the reported conditions don't merit the drive up.

The long summer evenings of June and July are a precious commodity, and great to be out and about in - as 30 hours of continuous rain and dark, miserable sky reminded me this week!
    This is something I've become more settled on over the past few years. It is just so much nicer fishing a summer evening, in short sleeves or a light pullover, passing a few hours.

I start to notice a difference in the evenings around the second or third week in August. After that, I would have to go earlier in the evening which I don't particularly enjoy. As the season moves into September, I really only fish if there's water that I like. As September goes on, the layers start to build up. When I have to wear a coat to keep warm at the river my interest goes completely.

Muffled up, hands sore with cold, battling through leaves to catch coloured fish really does nothing for me. It is 10 years this year since I last fished in October and I really don't feel I've missed anything.
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 10-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    This is something I've become more settled on over the past few years. It is just so much nicer fishing a summer evening, in short sleeves or a light pullover, passing a few hours.

I start to notice a difference in the evenings around the second or third week in August. After that, I would have to go earlier in the evening which I don't particularly enjoy. As the season moves into September, I really only fish if there's water that I like. As September goes on, the layers start to build up. When I have to wear a coat to keep warm at the river my interest goes completely.

Muffled up, hands sore with cold, battling through leaves to catch coloured fish really does nothing for me. It is 10 years this year since I last fished in October and I really don't feel I've missed anything.
    I enjoy my summer evenings on the river but must say i also love early season fishing with snow on the ground and wrapped up warm. Hands/toes hurt, face is numb but for some strange reason i quite enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Interesting thread gents.
    What I have learned is to stop making excuses, eg weather, water, whatever and just go...you won't catch them sitting on the couch and I find it makes you think more about tactics etc when you "get what you are given" with respect to river conditions.
    I work away half the year so need to make each visit count
    Cb

Quote Originally Posted by Clydebuilt View Post
    Interesting thread gents.
    What I have learned is to stop making excuses, eg weather, water, whatever and just go...you won't catch them sitting on the couch and I find it makes you think more about tactics etc when you "get what you are given" with respect to river conditions.
    I work away half the year so need to make each visit count
    Cb
    Totally agree with this, most of my fish this year have been when totaly knackerd after work or late in the day when ive been ready to quit and go home, push through and get rewarded. Also heading out with the spinning rod and rapala in high water has produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I enjoy my summer evenings on the river but must say i also love early season fishing with snow on the ground and wrapped up warm. Hands/toes hurt, face is numb but for some strange reason i quite enjoy it.

This is something that I've never experienced myself. There's nothing open that early in the year here.

There should be no leaves in the water which would be a great bonus too. I really do detest catching leaves!!!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast