Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System 2 reels

cracking reels, as said above bomb proof ,
    I have 2 reels in 12/13 & 2 in the 8/9 ,,
    which I fish with regularly ,,

Yes agree with all . Excellent reels . Very little can go wrong . Used 6/7 for seatrout, 8/9 for bass and bones, ditto 10/11 and for dredging and salmon the 12/13. Never had a problem with the drag when wet . Is it any more cork than Abel's ? Have friends who use them for Tarpon and snook…..bling they are not. Very dependable , very simple, very strong. You will not fret if you chip them nor if your baggage disappears.

I had two, a 10/11 and a 12/13.Much asNeilT, mine used to stick when they got wet after deep wading.Don’t think they’re a cork drag!, it’s a mechanical disc brake that works by a ratchet system like some non hydraulic motorcycle brake systems and if I remember rightly utilises Ferodo pads. When mine got sticky,a quick dismantle, de-grease and a rub of the pad with emery cloth and they were ok again.Thing is unlike a largely self cleaning vehicle disc brake, they never run quick enough to self clean. Disc brakes in general are more efficient at high speeds!.
    Good reels in their day though!.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 13-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.

They are still good reels, not just in their day.
    I have a few which I still use and they will handle any salmon which has ever swum in a British river.
    Their sister reels, the Leeda Magnum Disc, which are sometimes branded as B.F.R., are also top class but neither are probably bling enough for the tackle tarts.

Did bfr ever make a sub par reel ? The rimflys are still kicking about in good numbers as are alot of their other reels.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just looked at Clydebuilt's System 2 in the classifieds and that is the buy of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    Just looked at Clydebuilt's System 2 in the classifieds and that is the buy of the century.
    I'm surprised the Leeda Magnum 200 or the Cascapedia have not been snapped up already Heather point, maybe wrong time of year to be selling, although I thought they are fairly priced.
    The 200d reels are great machines, very underrated, maybe not as fashionable as the Big names but I bet there has been an awful lot of salmon landed in them.over the years!

Just noticed the leeda magnum and thats a bargain with the spools, ive allready got one sitting there as a backup reel or i would have snapped it up. Perfect reel for someone starting out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ACW is still using his ,bought in 78 for Falkuses penultimate spey casting course ,along with a 15 ft B&W expert.
    The expert was done in by the mad chef on the Brora ,but that was down to Columbian marching powder .
    the system2 is still going strong ,however I am looking for a silver9 chrome reeel foot for one as it doesnt fit modern rods with the black foot!
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)

Quote Originally Posted by ACW View Post
    The expert was done in by the mad chef on the Brora ,but that was down to Columbian marching powder .
    You can't just leave that one hanging, sound like a good story in there ACW!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12