Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of an Era.

Default End of an Era.

Well folks, today would've been the day the bus was filled with fishing gear, flee's had been tied, gear had been prepped, bags packed and hair combed for the annual Tweedy jaunt.
    Sadly its not to be, the 3hr drive North was allways an integral part of the week, once off the A1 the A68 was a lovely drive, nice to motor along and the Autumn scenery was /still is spectacular.I'll miss my friends, sadly we see so little of each other nowadays thats the part that will be hardest to bear.The nights in Burts, Timmy Taylors Landlord, the craic and jokes, stories galore and a good plate of nose bag.
    Mondays were always special, that first drive out of Melrose then along the back road looking down onto Fairnilee and across to Sunderland Hall and Yair was absolutely spectacular, the trees in all their Autumn glory is indeed something to behold-especially in a frost!.
    Every lay by had a car in it with attendant fisher person 1/2 clad in waders, rods waving in the air, smile's full of a weeks anticipation at what lay ahead!.
    I'll miss the company of the Ghillies too, Dave P. at Ashiesteil and Jack M. at Holylee, two nicer guys you just couldn't wish to meet.
    Then I'll miss that hike up into Tiger country, and my first shakey steps into Nowt Sykes before launching a customary Black n Yellow tube out across the stream.
    God knows how many years I've made that trek and spent so long looking forward to it every time.
    I hope it's just a temporary thing and sooner or later we might get back up there as a party,I won't hold to expectation rather to hope!.
    Yours a bit sad and melancholy,Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Well folks, today would've been the day the bus was filled with fishing gear, flee's had been tied, gear had been prepped, bags packed and hair combed for the annual Tweedy jaunt.
    Sadly its not to be, the 3hr drive North was allways an integral part of the week, once off the A1 the A68 was a lovely drive, nice to motor along and the Autumn scenery was /still is spectacular.I'll miss my friends, sadly we see so little of each other nowadays thats the part that will be hardest to bear.The nights in Burts, Timmy Taylors Landlord, the craic and jokes, stories galore and a good plate of nose bag.
    Mondays were always special, that first drive out of Melrose then along the back road looking down onto Fairnilee and across to Sunderland Hall and Yair was absolutely spectacular, the trees in all their Autumn glory is indeed something to behold-especially in a frost!.
    Every lay by had a car in it with attendant fisher person 1/2 clad in waders, rods waving in the air, smile's full of a weeks anticipation at what lay ahead!.
    I'll miss the company of the Ghillies too, Dave P. at Ashiesteil and Jack M. at Holylee, two nicer guys you just couldn't wish to meet.
    Then I'll miss that hike up into Tiger country, and my first shakey steps into Nowt Sykes before launching a customary Black n Yellow tube out across the stream.
    God knows how many years I've made that trek and spent so long looking forward to it every time.
    I hope it's just a temporary thing and sooner or later we might get back up there as a party,I won't hold to expectation rather to hope!.
    Sounds as though you should have gone ! Always the same after a bad week, make the decision not to go but when the time comes you wish you were going. I'm in a similar dilemma with my annual TT trip. Haven't missed for the past 18 years, but after this year's total washout I didn't book the ferry whilst we were there. The doubts are starting to creep in now, I know come May with the sun shining I will be gutted End of an Era.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Iím sitting here like a corpse after getting back yesterday afternoon - we had three for our week, 16lbs and 8lbs (2). All caught by our guests (thank you gentlemen), but we forgive them because of the craic.

I seriously could not consider a year without our week in the borders, our friends up there make us so welcome. Next year, same beat, same week, usual suspects God willing, same pubs/chip shops/curry houses, and the same old stories being trailed out again...

Got to go now, thereís something in my eye..
    Elibank

Echo what budge says - sounds as if you should have gone!

Totally get why you didnít - as with everything there comes a point where it just doesnít add up. Itís a hard decision.

We did the same on the Don, and it was tough given the people and accommodation we had found, but a few really bad dry years helped us make our mind up.

Weíve now found the Thurso and for the moment feel the excitement and trepidation that a week in the river brings. And thereís a few fish...

I really hope things improve, or you find a suitable substitute.

Oscar.

Well said Rennie!
    Last year the drive we took on the way home from Milfield across to Yetholm and beyond was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen; the autumn colours were sublime, but it has to be said that none of us are getting younger.Or richer.
    What do you do? Well I for one am planning a trip to Michigan. It will cost more. And I will have to forego the Borders next year.
    Perhap we shall leave it to the cyclists,ramblers and stargazers- but I fear they will not return as we did-or feel for the place as we do.

Dare I say it...time to think about abroad, better value than Tweed and far better scenery than the Scottish Borders.

If the cost reflected the fishing then maybe it would be worth the trip as it seems as if you miss alot of the other factors too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Barnes, London and Langland Bay, Gower, South Wales

I was thinking exactly the same thing today. How about a spring trip? I'm planning to contact Mr H and the doctor.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

It wasn't a decision made in haste or individually. It'd been coming for a year or two. When 6 of you fail to touch a fish over 6 days it's time to go.
    As Pete says we had a great time on and off the river.
    The reunions would start in Norris's where last minute purchases were made.
    Thanks Pete
    Morphfly

It's a difficult decision to make you will always think one more year and might be lucky with conditions.
    I have now got to the stage in my life where it's all about getting away
    for a bit of fishing clear the mind in nice surroundings I've made a trip to the Alness by myself at the end of September this year and last 1 fish last year and 3 this year probably not a great return given if I'd spent the same amount of hours fishing at home on local rivers I would have probably
    caught the same.
    But if you think about it we are searching for something that may or may not even be there and if it is it apparently doesn't feed in fresh water!
    So enjoy the surroundings and company even if it is your own.
    I'm not in the numbers game anymore although it nice to get a few.
    PBP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast