Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Norris Ni1 DH rod

After having a rethink on rods I had I decided to add a small 12í rod to my armoury.
    I have a couple of switch rods for lighter work but felt I needed a 12í for the smaller rivers I see my self fishing now and in the future.

As my bank account wouldnít stretch to a high end Sage or loop etc, the above JN Ni1 range looked good on paper. I plumped for the 12í 7-8 weight with the following spec on it.

3A quality cork handle with rubberised ends for added durability
    Switch rod has a 2in bottom handle
    Lightweight, down locking aluminium reel seat
    Stripping guides designed to prevent excessive tangling
    Extra-large tip ring to better handle loop to loop connections
    Delivered in a lightweight cordura tube with cloth rod bag
    Stunning charcoal finish

On receipt I gave it the customery wiggle waggle test and it felt lovely.
    light in the hand and felt stiff as these small Scandi designed rods generally are. The Cork isnít triple AAA, as there was too much filler within to call it that, but not enough to give it a second thought.
    The reel seat was nicely made and anodised with the unmissable small logo of Guideline whom make this and the blanks. Iíd go further and say going by the whipping and general quality look of it that the whole rod is made by them.
    So far very impressed and yesterday I paired it up with the JN Ni1 7-8 SH. Again well made by the looks of it.

Yesterday i I had the opportunity to fish with it on the South Esk, and I can say what a wee peach of a rod. It was well balanced and that stiffness gave way to power when needed. It could cast effortlessly and even I got on great with it. Light enough that you didnít feel as if youíd been fishing all day with it. Friends with me also gave very favourable feedback after trying it out.

I canít say enough how great this rod is for the cash involved £190 and if I was to tape over the JN name on the butt, I would bet my bottom dollar no one would guess its a cheap rod from JN instead thinking itís from a more expensive and big named manufacturer.
    Goes without saying anyone looking for a small rod and doesnít mind the name on the rod should seriously consider this rod for all it costs and you wonít be disappointed.

To be honest even the pricey guideline rods seem to have alot of filler in the handles and the jn norris rod is made by them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

First thing I did yesterday, was grab the rod off Kenny and give it a cast.
    I didn't need much time with it to make my mind up, half a dozen casts or so was enough for me.
    It's a beautifully finished, feels great in the hand and a bargain at the price.
    Cover the dacals up and you would think you had a top end rod in your hand. Had I been in the market for a rod in this range, I would have one o these in an instant.
    Bill Cook

They donít seem to have them in larger sizes. Iíd be tempted by a 14-15 footer as I have plenty of smaller rods and not much call for them

This may be the start of going up in size depending on reviews and demand. Tbh most are getting rid of big rods nowadays unless your mostly on the big rivers the majority of your fishing.
    I have a 14í-9Ē Guideline LeCie And hardly get the opportunity to use it nowadays.

Thanks for your review of this rod.

I am on the lookout for a 12ft double hander myself and had seen this rod but was unsure about it.

Going by your comments and others on this thread, I may have one for next season.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by allysshrimp View Post
    First thing I did yesterday, was grab the rod off Kenny and give it a cast.
    I didn't need much time with it to make my mind up, half a dozen casts or so was enough for me.
    It's a beautifully finished, feels great in the hand and a bargain at the price.
    Cover the dacals up and you would think you had a top end rod in your hand. Had I been in the market for a rod in this range, I would have one o these in an instant.
    Seconded , Bill.
    Nice , user friendly , rod, even in the dreadful conditions that we suffered yesterday.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    They donít seem to have them in larger sizes. Iíd be tempted by a 14-15 footer as I have plenty of smaller rods and not much call for them
    I would be wondering, if itís not the same, at least close in material, taper and performance to the Elevate series.
    They are now discontinued by Guideline also and available in 13Ď7 #9/10 and 14í8 #10/11.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Hello Kingfisher,
    thank you for your review.
    I was casting the Guideline Elevate in 12í #7/8. A very nice rod for the price. I am not sure if itís the same.
    But may I ask you what line you use on your rod?
    Thank you in advance.

And tight lines with your new rod!
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

I used the John Norris Ni1 7/8 floating Shooting Head.
    At first I thought it a tad heavy for the rod but friends said it was bang on and it felt it matched better the more I used it
    At £19.99 for the SH it was a bargain too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast