Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Default Bruce and Walker rod

I am looking into buying a Bruce and Walker rod for next year. Something in the 13ft sort of length and perhaps with the ability to cast shooting heads and occasionally a spey line.

Could anybody recommend a model to suit? I tried one out a couple of years ago but can’t remember the model, and even worse, the guy who let me have a cast with it 😬

Any info appreciated

Thanks
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "

SnapT, without any shadow of a doubt you couldn't really do any better than a B+W Norway 13ft.Now the rating used to be 7/9 I believe, but its been changed to what every one lined it up as in an 8/9.
    It's not the most expensive range(the Norways in general I mean), but it provides an awful lot of outstanding rod for the money.
    I had one for some time and threw Rio Mid Speys on it no problem and Rio AFS Heads too perfectly well.As ever the B+W finish is exemplary well understated, it's very much a rod to take pleasure from in both owning and fishing.
    Best of luck,Pedro.

I have the 13’ Powerlite Spey #8-10, the 13’6” Walker #8 and the 12’4” 30g Shooting Head rods.

All of these rods are comfortable with shooting heads in the 2.5-3.5 x rod length range. The Powerlite and Walker work well with 55ft Spey lines and the Shooting Head rod up to a Scandi Long (42ft).

IMHO:

The Powerlite Speycaster is a pretty powerful rod and is really a 9/10, or even a 10. It works well with the LTS shooting heads at 39g, a 600grain Skagit and 9/10 Spey line. IMLE this rod rewards and requires good technique more than the other two.

The 13,6” Walker is my favourite all-round rod. I have used shooting heads from Gaelforce and Barrio at 34g, Rage compacts at 540g and the Gaelforce 55ft Spey line. The rod is mainly a mid-tip action and bends down to the top of the handle. The blank is thicker than most other modern rods and a heavier reel is really helpful to balance it. It will cast overhead (v useful), underhand off the tip, or longer stoke ‘modern Spey’. It received favourable comments from a former instructor during a lesson. It feels good with Grilse and great with a Salmon on.

21ec58e7-9ba4-40b7-8702-11d784e3d474-jpeg

I have the 3 piece and love it......Check Speypages for some custom build versions - they look great.

The 12,4” Shooting Head rod is rated at 30g but is very flexible. I have used Rage heads from 420-510grain. You can send any one for miles with the correct application of power. My favourite combinations are the 480 hover and the 510 floater. The rod is also mid-tip in action, but flexes almost as deep as the Walker. It recovers faster than the Walker and is not a stiff ‘ultra-fast’ rod; although I did need to adjust my technique quite a bit with the 510grain Scandi Long (42ft) when moving from the Rage heads (approximately 30ft). IMHO this is the most modern feeling blank. Using it has really opened my Luddite eyes to different styles of casting and the short Rage heads. I love using the rod.

General: The off the shelf handles and reel seats are ‘one size fits all’ Both are probably a bit long on the Powerlite and Shooting Head rod. If you like modern handles then speak with them for a custom version. I got the Walker from Fawcetts and they can lend you one for a week to try.

P.S. Drop me a PM to see if you are close enough to try one or all of mine.

P.P.S. I’ve used the Norway 13’ 7-9 too and although I haven’t got as much time as with the 3 rods above, I echo Rennie’s comments. I suspect the action is between the Powerlite and the Walker but you’d have to try it out to confirm.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 11-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    I have the 13’ Powerlite Spey #8-10, the 13’6” Walker #8 and the 12’4” 30g Shooting Head rods.

All of these rods are comfortable with shooting heads in the 2.5-3.5 x rod length range. The Powerlite and Walker work well with 55ft Spey lines and the Shooting Head rod up to a Scandi Long (42ft).

IMHO:

The Powerlite Speycaster is a pretty powerful rod and is really a 9/10, or even a 10. It works well with the LTS shooting heads at 39g, a 600grain Skagit and 9/10 Spey line. IMLE this rod rewards and requires good technique more than the other two.

The 13,6” Walker is my favourite all-round rod. I have used shooting heads from Gaelforce and Barrio at 34g, Rage compacts at 540g and the Gaelforce 55ft Spey line. The rod is mainly a mid-tip action and bends down to the top of the handle. The blank is thicker than most other modern rods and a heavier reel is really helpful to balance it. It will cast overhead (v useful), underhand off the tip, or longer stoke ‘modern Spey’. It received favourable comments from a former instructor during a lesson. It feels good with Grilse and great with a Salmon on.

21ec58e7-9ba4-40b7-8702-11d784e3d474-jpeg

I have the 3 piece and love it......Check Speypages for some custom build versions - they look great.

The 12,4” Shooting Head rod is rated at 30g but is very flexible. I have used Rage heads from 420-510grain. You can send any one for miles with the correct application of power. My favourite combinations are the 480 hover and the 510 floater. The rod is also mid-tip in action, but flexes almost as deep as the Walker. It recovers faster than the Walker and is not a stiff ‘ultra-fast’ rod; although I did need to adjust my technique quite a bit with the 510grain Scandi Long (42ft) when moving from the Rage heads (approximately 30ft). IMHO this is the most modern feeling blank. Using it has really opened my Luddite eyes to different styles of casting and the short Rage heads. I love using the rod.

General: The off the shelf handles and reel seats are ‘one size fits all’ Both are probably a bit long on the Powerlite and Shooting Head rod. If you like modern handles then speak with them for a custom version. I got the Walker from Fawcetts and they can lend you one for a week to try.

P.S. Drop me a PM to see if you are close enough to try one or all of mine.

P.P.S. I’ve used the Norway 13’ 7-9 too and although I haven’t got as much time as with the 3 rods above, I echo Rennie’s comments. I suspect the action is between the Powerlite and the Walker but you’d have to try it out to confirm.
    How I wonder did we ever manage to catch a salmon back in the day -yes there were more of them but !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcy View Post
    How I wonder did we ever manage to catch a salmon back in the day -yes there were more of them but !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    More fished with Bruce & Walkers

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    More fished with Bruce & Walkers

DCH

No Before then. B&W are recent to some of us

And some of us have fished with their beautiful handbuilt and rods for many years!

If i recall correctly, the Walker range need a much slower casting action and do bend right down to the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardt3227 View Post
    And some of us have fished with their beautiful handbuilt and rods for many years!

If i recall correctly, the Walker range need a much slower casting action and do bend right down to the handle.
    And as for the Hexagraph a course in body building wouldn't have gone amiss

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    And as for the Hexagraph a course in body building wouldn't have gone amiss
    Superb rods to play a fish on though, I still have mine in honourable retirement & the weight wasn't the issue (the 15 ft Walker & HF No 1 were a lot lighter than the Hardy 15'4" deluxe) but they were somewhat tip heavy because the handle construction was low weight & it shifted the rod balance further forward. If you stuck a heavy reel on it was fine, remember non of the rods of that time could be judged successfully against today's - the advancement of technology & design has really moved on.

Also they were made to cast Double Taper lines, which they did well, whereas a modern uber light shooting head rod may well struggle (read break) if you tried to haul out a well sunk full fast sinking DT with a 3" brass tube on the end. It's not just the rods that have advanced but the whole system, lines, flies, tips etc. None of which would work in isolation.

But I'm glad I have the modern kit available nowadays, I'm simply not capable of the level of physical exertion & endurance that I was 25 - 30 years ago.

Regards, Tyke.
    Last edited by Tyke; 12-10-2019 at 10:50 PM.