Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  25
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The smallest grilse I have seen were on the Finn in Ireland in June - probably best part of 20 years ago. A lot were under 3 lbs and some possibly even less than 1.5 lbs.

Yes they call them sharpening stones after the stones used to sharpen the scythes. Smallest one I have seen was also on the Finn ca 10 years ago. Not sure it made a pound but 1.5/2 lb fish are fairly common in Donegal (hence they have a name for them). I have had 4 fish from the Forth over the last 17 years 2 lb or less so they do get them in Scotland. I also doubt they leave the estuary to feed and also wonder if they get to breed that year or just go back to sea again.

Funny how things come about,today i caught the smallest Salmon i have ever caught at 2lb perfectly formed hen fish.

Iíve been wondering about the size of grilse lately. Iíve had 9 so far this season from 4 different rivers and none were over 4lb. Most around the 3lb mark a couple around 2 and one about 1 1/2 lb. why are they getting smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by The flying Scotsman View Post
    Iíve been wondering about the size of grilse lately. Iíve had 9 so far this season from 4 different rivers and none were over 4lb. Most around the 3lb mark a couple around 2 and one about 1 1/2 lb. why are they getting smaller?
    What I've found strange is that you expect early season grilse to be small and then get bigger as the season progresses. This year the grilse I caught in May and June were bigger than those I got in July and August.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    What I've found strange is that you expect early season grilse to be small and then get bigger as the season progresses. This year the grilse I caught in May and June were bigger than those I got in July and August.
    I found a much better class of grilse in the Far North compared to rivers further south and central Scotland this year. I hear of some good individual catches on the Clyde averaging 3-4lbs this season. Not so long ago a small grilse would be 6-7lbs.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Do you think these small grilse are actually the most efficient spawners with the larger mature hens?

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    I found a much better class of grilse in the Far North compared to rivers further south and central Scotland this year. I hear of some good individual catches on the Clyde averaging 3-4lbs this season. Not so long ago a small grilse would be 6-7lbs.
    We had grilse in the 4.5 to 5.5lb range in May and June, but quite a few 2.5 to 3.5 in July in the Far North. We have usually had small grilse in the West Country. When I started fishing the West Coast grilse were 6-7lb. I think there is probably some regional variation. At least the last few years they have been in good nick, not like the thin poor fish of a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS View Post
    Funny how things come about,today i caught the smallest Salmon i have ever caught at 2lb perfectly formed hen fish.
    I had one on the Northie about 35 years ago that was under 2lbs.
    A 5lb fish was considered very small in these days.
    A lot of the grilse I've seen this year on the Northie and Southie have been in the just over 3lb class.

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    I had one on the Northie about 35 years ago that was under 2lbs.
    A 5lb fish was considered very small in these days.
    A lot of the grilse I've seen this year on the Northie and Southie have been in the just over 3lb class.
    I wonder if these small grilse have went off the coast with the seatrout and therfore end up smaller as the small ones seem to turn up at the same time as the early seatrout.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234