Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=Chester;1159131]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Decided on a last min drive up the coquet yesterday afternoon and was rewarded accordingly, 2 plus a nice brownie to the net and another lost. Also when i hooked the first i looked upstream to another angler 20 yards away and as he went to say something... bang, a fish took his fly and stuck too. Must have been 5 or 6 anglers on the beat and all had one salmon if not a few. All fish returned and went back well as the new club rules are catch and release in october which seems to be accepted quite well.

Well done - seems catches on the Coquet have certainly picked up this year, which is great to hear after a few years of doom and gloom. Had my first salmon and sea trout from there many moons ago and it still has my PB for a salmon - swans neck in August.
    Any idea how the night time sea trout fishing has been this year?
    Theres been a few caught but there seems to be a lack of seatrout this season, biggest has been just over 10lb and was caught last week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Could the Coquet be doing well this year (as opposed to the continuous poor reports from the Lune), because it is located in a relative rain shadow - it often seems to miss the rain when I have followed river levels ? Did it miss the severe flooding, that may have helped decimate the west coast rivers 4 or 5 seasons ago?

I have no idea really, but trying work out why the Coquet (suffering from water extraction, farm run off, sewage works and fish barriers) seems to have a good head of fish this year, whilst others are still doing badly. Where have all these fish come from, all of a sudden ?
    Last edited by offshore; 06-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Could the Coquet be doing well this year (as opposed to the continuous poor reports from the Lune), because it is located in a relative rain shadow - it often seems to miss the rain when I have followed river levels ? Did it miss the severe flooding, that may have helped decimate the west coast rivers 4 or 5 seasons ago?

I have no idea really, but trying work out why the Coquet (suffering from water extraction, farm run off, sewage works and fish barriers) seems to have a good head of fish this year, whilst others are still doing badly. Where have all these fish come from, all of a sudden ?
    I think the answer is simpler than that. The Coquet is basically a spate river and has struggled for water for the last few years. This year, we’ve had quite a lot of spates, which have encouraged fish in and given good fishing conditions. Fish were pretty well spread through the system 3 months ago.

Storm Desmond at the end of 2015 hit the river quite hard and moved a lot of gravel at a time when many fish would already have spawned so you might expect poorer returns of 1.2 fish and 2.1+ grilse this year unless the lower numbers of juveniles have survived better (due to less competition for food and less predation). On top of that, there have been no drift nets this year and only a few T nets, which have been operating on a ‘sea trout only’ basis, and various improvements have been made to barriers to fish passage over the last few years. What I find harder to explain is why the Coquet seems to have done relatively better than its neighbours, which were also affected by these things.

I don’t think there’s any more fish in this year compared to any other year, they still trickle in in low water but just hunker down in the deep pools and are very hard to catch. The only reason there seems to be more this year is because levels have been good for fishing hence a few getting caught

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    I think the answer is simpler than that. The Coquet is basically a spate river and has struggled for water for the last few years. This year, we’ve had quite a lot of spates, which have encouraged fish in and given good fishing conditions. Fish were pretty well spread through the system 3 months ago.

Storm Desmond at the end of 2015 hit the river quite hard and moved a lot of gravel at a time when many fish would already have spawned so you might expect poorer returns of 1.2 fish and 2.1+ grilse this year unless the lower numbers of juveniles have survived better (due to less competition for food and less predation). On top of that, there have been no drift nets this year and only a few T nets, which have been operating on a ‘sea trout only’ basis, and various improvements have been made to barriers to fish passage over the last few years. What I find harder to explain is why the Coquet seems to have done relatively better than its neighbours, which were also affected by these things.
    Thanks for that reply. Dont want to get too carried away, but do you thinks its possible some of the Coquet fish eventually find their way into the Tyne after prolonged low water - hence the low Tyne counts this August ? I could be getting a bit carried away with that theory !

I fished the Fed water about 6 years ago (?) after waiting for rain and saw a phenomenal number of fish run as the water dropped (sandpit ?) , but the reports got gradually worse after that. I paid for fishing last year in advance, but never saw a worthwhile opportunity to take it from April onwards, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Thanks for that reply. Dont want to get too carried away, but do you thinks its possible some of the Coquet fish eventually find their way into the Tyne after prolonged low water - hence the low Tyne counts this August ? I could be getting a bit carried away with that theory !

I fished the Fed water about 6 years ago (?) after waiting for rain and saw a phenomenal number of fish run as the water dropped (sandpit ?) , but the reports got gradually worse after that. I paid for fishing last year in advance, but never saw a worthwhile opportunity to take it from April onwards, as I recall.
    I wonder if the low counts this summer are a result of the modifications that have been done to Riding Mill weir to make it safer for canoeists. They may have made it easier for fish to bypass the counter in the highish water we’ve had for much of the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12