Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    jimb0116, reading between the lines of your post, your existing rod sounds fine, it's done the business for you once allready so there's no real reason to change- unless you absolutely want to!. You've had some excellent advice so far, all of it very sound indeed.
    Now the thing that will stump you is!- - - , the way of fishing is going to be different!.The 6lb Nylon has to go right out of the window(at least until you get some experience under your belt), as said 10lb minimum 12lb better, so that will just about knock any Trout or Grayling fishing for 6 as like as not they won't come near that BS of nylon! and you're going to need more in the way of accepted Salmon flee's too- which again won't do the Trout n Grayling catches much good at all.
    What I'm in effect saying is, there's no 1/2 way house or best of both worlds.If you want Salmon, you're going to have to set up for them, if you want the Trout n Grayling the same applies.
    Don't fret because once you get some experience it is possible to target all species together, but initially I'd stick to one or t'other!.
    A rod of 10ft for a 7 weight line will be great, now what you can do is set up with flee's n nylon for the smaller fish and if the chance presents itself, change to heavier Nylon and more appropriate flee's if Salmon start to wave at you!.Just be aware(as you've found out already!) fish don't always read the rule books!.
    Being able to read the water, and understanding Salmon(it's called water craft!) will all lead to you being able to make the right judgement call in the right places at the right times and trying for the Salmon when you've the best chance whilst still enjoying your Trout n Grayling fishing and still catching them.
    Just to let you know, my 1st Salmon came when Trout fishing, it weighed 18lb, and fell to a 10ft 7 weight trout rod, 3lb cast and size 16 flee.It took 3/4's of an hour of me running up and down the bank after it!, yes I probably used up my lifetimes supply of luck there!, so it is possible.
    Wishing you all the best and tight lines.Pedro.
    I hope this gets to everyone ok as I am new to the forum. THank you all so much for all your advice. Perhaps Santa will brink me a 10' #8 rod for Christmas. I have all winter to digest your comments but the advice you have given me will be invaluable. Tight lines to you all.

As an earlier poster has said, Bruce and Walker did a superb 10.5ft sea trout/grilse rod (#7-9) back in the late 80s. I still use mine regularly and landed a 12lb sea trout on it at Golden Grove last year. It has a slow action unlike the current tippy action. You can still pick them up on fleabay for around 100 and in good condition. B & W still hand build rods and are always happy to repair their rods if damaged. I have just had larger rings put on the top section of mine as i found that when it was very windy (as last year on Towey), i moved up to a #9 line with loop to attach tips. The loops were a little difficult to get back through the rings under tension and thought that slightly larger rings would avoid a future jam. Only cost 80 for a superb job.

Years ago all my Salmon fishing was with a single hander 10' for a 7 with a clear intermediate line. My best fish was off the Stinchar and weighed 21lbs on that rod, not an easy battle but I got there in the end. I am using single handers and switch rods more and more now, much more fun. The rod you have is just fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12