Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Best salmon net...

I think I'm gonna have to buy a bigger net after last weeks netting fiasco. What's everyone's prefered nets?

I have a Mclean weigh net, which was a birthday present from my children. The net's very good once you've eased the press buttons (extending it under pressure was difficult at first) and it doesn't carry very well owing to an over-narrow web sling. Had I not received the gift I should probably have bought a Sharpe's Gye, which has rather a clever sling and is easy to extend using a foot.

I like the Mclean short handle, nice and light good strap easy to release.

definatley a gye net,27 inch as 30 is way to big imho

My choice would be an oval headed Sharpes Gye net or similar with a square shaft as it is easy to extend using your foot without taking attention from the fish.

I would avoid any nets that have a round shaft and button arrangement to lock the head in place (this includes the popular Mclean weigh nets) as from experience I have lost fish I shouldnít due to the fiddle of having to get the button in place taking my attention away from dealing with the fish.

Iíve got the Sharpes Salmon teardrop Gye Net. The net measures 21Ē x 28Ē. Itís got a big bag, itís light and is a much better shape for netting fish single handed than my old round one. The long handle is also a real advantage when on your own, or on a high bank. Can be a pest to carry through undergrowth or in deep, fast water but apart from that itís just right for me. My biggest complaint is that it Doesnít get used enough. ...

Maclean's for me. If you set it up properly it's really easy to carry and deploy, far easier than a Gye, IME.

Hi Loxie.
    Is there a risk you could drop the net in the river with the McCleans net, as it has a bayonet clip release and becomes detached from the user unlike the gye net.
    I have one and struggle to deploy at times, it seems cumbersome and fiddly.
    I wear it handle down as itís more comfortable.
    Esk1.

Another vote for the Mclean net, had mine for 10 years or so, just works, quality, I changed the net bag to a rubber mesh when they came out, makes a huge difference to the fish, no split fins, no hooks caught up, a key part for making C&R as fish friendly as possible.
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by Esk1 View Post
    Hi Loxie.
    Is there a risk you could drop the net in the river with the McCleans net, as it has a bayonet clip release and becomes detached from the user unlike the gye net.
    I have one and struggle to deploy at times, it seems cumbersome and fiddly.
    I wear it handle down as itís more comfortable.
    Esk1.
    Yes I wear it handle down too, with the sling clip on the right. I press the button in before fishing and I rotate it slightly. When I'm ready to net the fish I reach down with my right hand and press the clip. Gravity drops it neatly in to my hand and I the put my foot on the rim and draw out the handle, rotating it back so the button lines up with the hole and clicks in to place. I don't think you can pull the handle right through as there is a stop.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast