Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  26
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sharpes Salmon teardrop Gye Net for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rosslinden0 View Post
    Every elastic rope will perish over time, I bought about 20 meters replacement elastic rope from eBay for a few quid, only had to replace it the one time but the rope came in handy for alsorts of stuff
    Totally agree all rubber based will perish if exposed.
    In this case though I think there is a size, & quality issue, as I have some larger dia. bungies I used to strap coarse gear onto my barrow, and a cargo net I used for luggage on my motor bike, which are still going strong, but must be twice the age of the fastnet strap. The bungies in particular have suffered much greater mistreatment than the fastnet strap, as the net has spent most of its time clipped to my fishing bench in good conditions ?( It has only been used 1/2 a dozen times, as the wife caught me looking at the mclean, and bought me it for christmas....don't think she knew I had the fastnet....I didn't think to make her any wiser ?)
    I did find some 8 x700 ( &1000)mm bungies with a sprung dog clip at each end...in the £1 shop which are really good quality, given the cost.
    I might adapt one of them...not bothered if I have to replace every year at that price ?

Mel....
    Last edited by lowforcefly; 11-09-2019 at 09:04 PM.

I have 2, a 30inch sharpes and a 24in snowbie, both on slings.
    30 inch is a bit big. Bought it when i started salmon fishing without seeing how big it really was. Acqired the 24inch several years later.
    Had salmon up to 37.5 inches in both nets (had 2 at that length one in each). I know which was easiest.
    Tend to use the smaller net in general, but carry the big net on rivers where theres the chance of a biggie. Easier to put a 5lber in a 30 inch net than a 30lber in a 24inch net. (I live in hope of a 30lber)

As an aside. I always have the sling over my upstream shoulder when looking at the river. That way, when to release the net, it drifts off downstream away from you rather than across your legs in front of you.

Like the look of the tear drop nets as they give the length for a big fish without the inconvenience of the width when carryung a big net on your back.
    Not buying another though.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

McLean sea trout size I wouldn’t be without it i’ve used it about 5 seasons now,not the cheapest but well worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    McLean sea trout size I wouldn’t be without it i’ve used it about 5 seasons now,not the cheapest but well worth the money
    I have one too! but hardly ever get the chance to use it

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    I have one too! but hardly ever get the chance to use it Best salmon net...
    Thats like my net, i rekon ive netted more fish for other anglers with it than my own fish Best salmon net...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've a total of 4 differing nets for Salar and on balance would say the Sharpes Gye net, or variation thereof(there are other makes at differing prices exactly the same style and sling etc) is the one to go for.
    Simple is as simple does and don't fix what aint broke spring to the fore!.
    It's strong, functional and simple, takes minimum care over the years, mines on its second leather peel sling now due to simple longevity of use! and its had fish to 28lb in it!(ha!, not mine,I've had two Gudgeon and a Dace that I caught in it!), the bag is deep enough and knotless.
    Get in the hang of wearing it and its simplicity itself to use.Key is to deploy the sling release at the last moment when the fish is fully ready, when the net drops down, foot on the frame, slide the handle to full length, net your fish.Simples,smiles all round.
    You know it makes sense!.Pedro.

Just an ancillary thought here for you all.All the Sharpes,Wilco, Maclean,Fastnet, Whitlock nets in the world complete with their ancillary quick release slings etc. aren't worth Bo Diddley if you can't get Salar close enough to use them when you're on your own.
    These nets are meant for the solitary roving Salmon angler, no matter the situation they may well find themselves in(Ashleys situation spring's immediately to mind here!),if you can't get Salar close enough to you to use the net then you may well as not carry one.
    In short you need to give serious consideration to your leader knots and joints, loops on the fly line etc.You will want the Salmon on a short line close enough to you to deploy your shiny new net, so you need to get your leader/poly/whatever into the rod rings(and maybe even out again if Salar takes off once more).
    Think this bit through carefully!,you want everything smooth through the rod rings, in and out like a knife through butter, no big knots, deffo. no plaggy sleeve holding loops onto fly lines etc. etc., amazed at folk with a knot like a ping pong ball holding a leader in place, then looking perplexed when they can't get a fish close enough to deal with it!.
    Buy the net, but make life easy to use it properly folks!.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I've a total of 4 differing nets for Salar and on balance would say the Sharpes Gye net, or variation thereof(there are other makes at differing prices exactly the same style and sling etc) is the one to go for.
    Simple is as simple does and don't fix what aint broke spring to the fore!.
    It's strong, functional and simple, takes minimum care over the years, mines on its second leather peel sling now due to simple longevity of use! and its had fish to 28lb in it!(ha!, not mine,I've had two Gudgeon and a Dace that I caught in it!), the bag is deep enough and knotless.
    Get in the hang of wearing it and its simplicity itself to use.Key is to deploy the sling release at the last moment when the fish is fully ready, when the net drops down, foot on the frame, slide the handle to full length, net your fish.Simples,smiles all round.
    You know it makes sense!.Pedro.
    I got caught out a few weeks back while playing a fish, i thought it was done and ready for the net but it then shot along the bank behind me and back upstream across the river, had to do my best spinning ballerina impression with the net and fly rod etc. Best salmon net...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im with Loxie and MCX, mcleans for me too though i reiterate what MCXsaid on easing the release button. I was brought up on gye nets and theres not much in it between them other than the obvious weighing facility with mcleans
    Last edited by Saint Andrews; 16-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234