Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooking up..

Default Hooking up..

Yep, I know itís a perennial problem but has anyone else had issues this year converting hook ups to fish hitting the net? I have hooked into 19 since the end of June landing 2. Usual average is land one for every 2 fish met, that includes everything from the customary handshake with a foot of line gone and dropped to the odd one escaping at the net. Are fish behaving differently this year (they seem a lot more tentative, very little surface action) or is it (more likely!) I am buck useless and my honeymoon period as a salmon angler is over! Iím not doing anything different to normal, leave it hit, turn, tighten and lift but they just arenít sticking, whatever the reason. Dropped another 4 yesterday.

All help/comments appreciated, hooks are sharp, tackle is good, itís prob just me!

Yours extremely frustrated,

Pete.

Been having a frustrating season myself.

Since 12th July I've come into contact with 13 salmon of which I've landed the grand total of one.

I usually do well in low water conditions but this year, I've been getting plenty of hits and pulls at the small flies without hooking anything. How they're able to pull so hard on a size 12 stoats tail and miss the hooks is rather puzzling to me.

I tell myself it would be worse if I wasn't touching anything but that's beginning to wear a bit thin.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I'm probably above average conversation rate for me this year. I've had, from memory, 41 firm contacts of which I've hooked 37 and landed 32. I've moved a good deal of other fish and seen at least 3 actually take the fly but not felt a thing. IMO it's largely about speed of retrieve. The faster I retrieve the better my hooking ratio. I also believe I get more takes as well. I think using small hooks makes a big difference too. I nearly always fish small tubes with size 14 B990 trebles, going up to a 12 for sunrays and bigger tubes. I also use very soft actioned rods which means I land a very high percentage of those I hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Petekd View Post
    Yep, I know itís a perennial problem but has anyone else had issues this year converting hook ups to fish hitting the net? I have hooked into 19 since the end of June landing 2. Usual average is land one for every 2 fish met, that includes everything from the customary handshake with a foot of line gone and dropped to the odd one escaping at the net. Are fish behaving differently this year (they seem a lot more tentative, very little surface action) or is it (more likely!) I am buck useless and my honeymoon period as a salmon angler is over! Iím not doing anything different to normal, leave it hit, turn, tighten and lift but they just arenít sticking, whatever the reason. Dropped another 4 yesterday.

All help/comments appreciated, hooks are sharp, tackle is good, itís prob just me!

Yours extremely frustrated,

Pete.
    Could they be Sea Trout and not salmon ?

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Could they be Sea Trout and not salmon ?
    An odd one maybe but vast majority are grilse for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Petekd View Post
    An odd one maybe but vast majority are grilse for sure.
    Fair enough. Grilse size fish fighting briefly at the surface before dropping off, tend to be hooked just under the nose when you eventually land one - based on a couple of frustrating sessions like that.

Micro tubes and replace the hook if you start raking rocks.. seen many a good fish lost from flies that have had there day.
    Size 12 is working well for me ,Iíve only lost a couple of fish since dropping down a few sizes.

I'm contemplating the very same issues my self!.I've had the grand total of 6 fish move positively to my flees-both seen and felt! and hooked the grand total of absolutely nowt!
    I'm very much a wee tube and small terrible person, usually 1/2 a sniff and its a fish on the bank for me!
    Very frustrating year so far!
    Pedro.

Much the same for me-no matter what I try.

Fish on, quick thrash at the surface and off. All very frustrating.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Same for me this year, fish taking and falling off, either slack lining me or going crazy on the surface and being soft mouthed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast