Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  238
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Taking it to the next level.......

Over the years I have met salmon anglers who could catch fish in a drain.......great casters, read the water better than most and killer flies and gear.
    If there was an aspect of salmon fishing that you would like to learn or improve to take it to the next level what would it be for you?
    Mike

I would like to be able to read the water properly, it would give me the confidence that I am fishing in the right areas, I donít think the casting is just so important as having your fly in the right areas, the fish donít care if itís a good cast or a bad cast, especially in the streamy parts of the river.

Just to catch a salmon woud be nice...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    Just to catch a salmon woud be nice...lol
    After the last couple of seasons, a sight of one would be an improvement....
    Elibank

I donít know.

Over the past 6 years generally drier weather and lower water made salmon harder to catch (2017 was the exception). In comparison, 2007-12 was much wetter, rivers were higher, and with the exception of 2009, salmon were easier to catch. As a result my success or otherwise was determined by factors other than my technical performance.

Iíd like to be a better caster. Not because I would catch any more fish, but purely for personal satisfaction and aesthetic reasons, that might allow me to enjoy my fishing even more. Thatís why Iím having a coaching session next week.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 07-07-2019 at 11:08 PM.

If folk of our experience are being honest, then the whole thing is buggered!

So where do we go from here? Well, I like being by/in the river. I love nature taking place around me almost without it noticing I'm there.

These day's it is usually casting practice....just wish I could have cast as well 40 years ago.......but then back 40 years ago I was too busy catching fish...........!
    Last edited by westie4566; 07-07-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

I just wish I could get the hunger back for fishing. This past 5 years or so I've fished less and less.

I'm as happy now walking the river with the dog than I am actually fishing.

All the old characters are either too old to make it to the river or are, sadly, no longer with us. Those I meet at the river now know everything, through the Internet, as they haven't actually caught a salmon but try to tell me that I'm not fishing in the right places!

I miss the season when it's closed, look forward to it starting and then have no interest when it's here.

Oh to get the bug again! Sadly, I don't think I'll ever get it back.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I just wish I could get the hunger back for fishing. This past 5 years or so I've fished less and less.

I miss the season when it's closed, look forward to it starting and then have no interest when it's here.

Oh to get the bug again! Sadly, I don't think I'll ever get it back.
    Same here , R..
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I think we are very much to have the same feeling.
    We are not twenty anymore, and we had the chance to fish at a
    when there were still a lot of salmon.
    Now the pleasure of making some beautiful casts, walk the banks of a beautiful river, drink a good glenlivet or other, in a good chair after fishing.
    That's all for me !
    Last edited by christian roulleau; 08-07-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    If folk of our experience are being honest, then the whole thing is buggered!

So where do we go from here? Well, I like being by/in the river. I love nature taking place around me almost without it noticing I'm there.

These day's it is usually casting practice....just wish I could have cast as well 40 years ago.......but then back 40 years ago I was too busy catching fish...........!
    I think back to when I was a kid and the Exe was full of salmon. If I knew then etcetc!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast