Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  238
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    That's all very well but if you have no fish to target, often the case for many these days it seems, then it all becomes rather irrelevant don't you think.
    Targeting fewer fish should be the very reason we need to up our game surely?

I spent many years fishing new rivers beats wanting to spread my fishing round. But I hindsight turning up at new rivers beats fishing every inch from top to bottom has a whole load of wasted time and effort covering unpreductive water. Last two seasons I now only fish the water I know well fishing the known lies two or three times and fishing fast through the heads and tails as not to waste time.

On reading this it might sound like I'm rushing? No simply spending more time in the quality ares.

Ironically I now also like a gas on the bank now that I wouldn't do before either as I'd be hell bent on fishing every inch of a mile beat before heading home.

Well done the op on a great thread. Really enjoyed reading people's input on this one

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post

I spent many years fishing new rivers beats wanting to spread my fishing round. But I hindsight turning up at new rivers beats fishing every inch from top to bottom has a whole load of wasted time and effort covering unpreductive water. Last two seasons I now only fish the water I know well fishing the known lies two or three times and fishing fast through the heads and tails as not to waste time.

On reading this it might sound like I'm rushing? No simply spending more time in the quality ares.

Ironically I now also like a gas on the bank now that I wouldn't do before either as I'd be hell bent on fishing every inch of a mile beat before heading home.

Well done the op on a great thread. Really enjoyed reading people's input on this one
    This is something I strongly believe in.

My river is just under 30 miles long and club membership allows access to the entire river.

It baffles me at times when I talk to people who've fished the tidal section, then drove 20 miles upstream, then drove back further downstream and then try some of the middle/upper reaches before dark.

They spend a good part of the day setting up/taking down rods and driving when they'd be better spent actually fishing.

I had it narrowed down to two pools a few years ago. If I didn't hook anything in those two pools I wasn't really going to hook anywhere else. I remember one season landing 14 salmon from just one of those pools. That didn't include the rises, boils, splashes and lost fish either.

However, things change. That pool I mentioned above changed a lot. Even before our river changing flood in 2017.

After 2017, the pool just isn't holding fish in places where they used to be. The whole neck of the pool has shallowed, as has the tail which exits the pool in a completely different direction. Of the two pools I mentioned above, my two favourite low water throws, none of them have fish lying in places where you can cover them properly.

I'm completely blind again. I've had to try other pools that I don't really enjoy fishing and haven't yet worked out where the lies are in those pools either.

But, I'll keep putting the hours in and try to build my knowledge again. How these people fishing 5 or 6 different areas in a day learn the river properly is beyond me.
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 16-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post

Im a bit like that McAndy.

One of the reasons I like having a spin, is that I find it a quick way to identify the best spots.
    I do a bit of fishing on unfamiliar beats. More to be sociable and have a chance of a big springer, but with a poor success rate.
    I do waste the odd hour on my usual water when I know its unlikely, but im desperate for a cast.

My real fishing is now done purely on a dropping water or when the grilse are arriving.
    When I fish this way, ill have a seatrout or salmon for approx. every 2 hours fishing.

The other beats is probably a fish every 20 hours, or even worse.

If I was to fish a beat beside my house I would have an even better figure, but its not so much fun.

If the waters dropping ill fly fish and possibly spin.

If its low ill spin, but a maximum of 5 casts per pool and then on to the next.

Cheers

Mows

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Im a bit like that McAndy.

One of the reasons I like having a spin, is that I find it a quick way to identify the best spots.
    I do a bit of fishing on unfamiliar beats. More to be sociable and have a chance of a big springer, but with a poor success rate.
    I do waste the odd hour on my usual water when I know its unlikely, but im desperate for a cast.

My real fishing is now done purely on a dropping water or when the grilse are arriving.
    When I fish this way, ill have a seatrout or salmon for approx. every 2 hours fishing.

The other beats is probably a fish every 20 hours, or even worse.

If I was to fish a beat beside my house I would have an even better figure, but its not so much fun.

If the waters dropping ill fly fish and possibly spin.

If its low ill spin, but a maximum of 5 casts per pool and then on to the next.

Cheers

Mows
    Spinning is another I would also over look, but a good ghillie once suggested on the Tay I fish my fly through a couple of pools but then give it 10 minutes with a spinner especially in the spring months. This has proved to be sound advice and if I'm honest actually enjoy it now.

Im quite content dinking a size 1 mepp around pools in low water trying to target fish tucked under trees or other places you would struggle to get a fly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

my fishing now consists of fishing the same low water beat, spinning or fly, in low water 5 or 10 casts moving down quite fast
    then a different pool, if its to big, a quick go, then a sit on the bank then home, the opposite bank fish 6-8 hours regardless
    and it does pay dividends, but these days its not for me, you learn to read the water, and fish it accordingly, sometimes you think that if you fished it harder it might have paid off, but flogging a potential dead horse no longer appeals anymore, when I was younger, it was a early start then pretty much all day regardless of conditions, but these days the fish hunger, just is not there, new water has normally ended in disappointment, a load of money, messed about with power crazy tip hunting gillies, all the fish caught last week, or next week, or as normal! half the years total, caught by the gillie and friends, one time, if raining, I could not get back from work early enough to rush down to my local river, waiting for the flood coming in, then back before work the following morning, but younger, keener, killing everything we caught, and mainly a hell of a lot more salmon, made it a more desirable obsession than it seems these days.
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789