Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  238
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lancsflyman View Post
    Where I fish I don't have to single spey cast, so I'm lucky. Are you fishing with a S/H rod or a D/H ? If you can it'll be easier to roll cast out.
    Ive tried a single handers and double and find my switch rod seems to work quite well as its alot easier to single spey over the left shoulder and disturb the water less.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The day will come for every single one of us when we can't fish through no choice of our own. Forget your casting frailties and the lack of fish. For when the choice is no longer yours that's when you will realise how much you love this fine waste of time. Enjoy every minute you get!!!!! We are salmon anglers we thrive on adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by luney View Post
    The day will come for every single one of us when we can't fish through no choice of our own. Forget your casting frailties and the lack of fish. For when the choice is no longer yours that's when you will realise how much you love this fine waste of time. Enjoy every minute you get!!!!! We are salmon anglers we thrive on adversity.
    I had a 'wake up call' today whilst confirming my courtesy car with the rental company ( my own is going into the bodyshop). All the licence stuff was done over the phone and I was shocked to realise that my licence expires in less than 17 years.

Seems like two minutes since I passed my test!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

If i could change anything it would be to have the same drive and enthusiasm as a 46 year old as i had aged 15. As a kid people would laugh as i crawled on my belly to gin clear pools on the Cumbrian Irt in low water remaining unseen and cast lead on my back but i knew vigilance caught fish and boy did i catch as a school boy. Id fish from dawn till dusk if i could covering miles of water knowing when to concentrate and when to move on. As one very accomplished angler said that kid could cast in the U bend of a toilet and hook a salmon, and his grandad is even better he could cast on a damp sponge and hook up. If i had that drive now as an adult id surely catch more thsn i do thesedays, life takes over unfortunately....
    Last edited by Saint Andrews; 08-07-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

I think I'm lucky in so much that I have fallen in love with the places I fish as much as the sport of fishing itself. Thus to get a fish on the bank is a bonus rather than the be all and end all, unlike some to whom it's all about numbers.

However, in truth I am a summer fisherman and enjoy the lighter tackle and an 11 foot rod, fishing the smaller streams with a cool light breeze on my back. When faced with a flood and 15 foot rods with sinking lines and big heavy tubes, ice on the rings and a freezing gale up my jacksie I'm an embarrassment of a fisherman so that is an area that I should make an effort to improve on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie-boy View Post
    I think I'm lucky in so much that I have fallen in love with the places I fish as much as the sport of fishing itself. Thus to get a fish on the bank is a bonus rather than the be all and end all, unlike some to whom it's all about numbers.

However, in truth I am a summer fisherman and enjoy the lighter tackle and an 11 foot rod, fishing the smaller streams with a cool light breeze on my back. When faced with a flood and 15 foot rods with sinking lines and big heavy tubes, ice on the rings and a freezing gale up my jacksie I'm an embarrassment of a fisherman so that is an area that I should make an effort to improve on.
    I know exactly what you mean by this, i mainly fish the coquet and the place itself is just stunning and a nice place to spend the day. If theres fish about then thats great, if not then ive not wasted my day as ive enjoyed my surroundings. I fish nomatter the weather and seeing the river change throughout the spring, summer and autumn just adds to the experience.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I was so tempted when I saw that Hardy rod you had in the classifieds. Then I thought about how little I now fish and how little use it would get and decided against it.
    The Swift has flown , Richard , but theres still a mint Airflo Switch in classifieds
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by clydesider View Post
    Over the years I have met salmon anglers who could catch fish in a drain.......great casters, read the water better than most and killer flies and gear.
    If there was an aspect of salmon fishing that you would like to learn or improve to take it to the next level what would it be for you?
    Mike
    First of all, to get to the next level, cast aside all the manic depression written on this thread. There is still quality salmon fishing out there.

Head to Norway or Iceland...this can be done on a budget. No guarantees of bagging up, but you'll come back a better fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by woodcockandsewin View Post
    First of all, to get to the next level, cast aside all the manic depression written on this thread. There is still quality salmon fishing out there.

Head to Norway or Iceland...this can be done on a budget. No guarantees of bagging up, but you'll come back a better fisherman.
    Depends what YOU call a budget don't you think, Giove us a breakdown of costs please.

I had a rough look at Norway a couple of years ago. None of the big rivers mind, but things equivalent to our local Esks. Wasn't too frightening at all with cabin digs and the flights with Wideroe from Aberdeen were very reasonable. I can't recall who, but someone on here did a wee thread about a similar thing.

It's on my 'to do list'
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast