Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  238
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I would say casting being more consistent, when im casting well then all is great, then for some reason my casting will drop off and the frustration sets in.
    Also night fishing, been fishing well into dark lately chasing seatrout but im still strugling to fish without being able to see what im doing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm really quite a weak caster from my left hand side, I'd like that to be less of a problem-although I can cope fine enough off my left shoulder casting right handed!.
    I still fish hard, in fact very hard, but these days the cost of that physically is getting hard to bear.I took a decision a few years back to just concentrate on Salmon-bad timing I think, as it's getting to be a struggle to see fish these days!.I'm currently sticking with my club waters to keep the cost down, no weekly lets this year on costly beats, but so far I'm blank this season.
    I do think I'd like a bit more conviction to follow my own purpose more,I've got a habit of talking myself out of what I know I should be doing!.
    Like MCX, I think we're fishing in ever warmer water which Salar doesn't like at all.Not easy times at all.
    Pedro.

Thinking - In my opinion, is what makes the difference between an average angler and a good one. Casting better or more efficiently certainly helps but I think it is more a case of understanding what the flies are doing under the water and how they are fished that makes the difference. I have watched several "fish magnets" go about their business and they don't do anything special with their casting etc but what they do is to ensure their fly is "fishing" as soon as it touches the water. Downstream mends, long slow pulls, figure of eight retrieves, Scandi wa*%s and so on can all make the difference by turning a blank day into a good one - even in these days of fewer salmon. You very rarely see the good anglers chuck out the "normal" 45 degree cast with a big upstream mend on the line and just sitting back hoping for the best.
    Last edited by PerryPoker; 08-07-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    I would say casting being more consistent, when im casting well then all is great, then for some reason my casting will drop off and the frustration sets in.
    Also night fishing, been fishing well into dark lately chasing seatrout but im still strugling to fish without being able to see what im doing.

It is harder fishing at night. The best advice I could give you is fish the pools you intend to fish in day light, to get used to how is best to approach your fishing in the dark pal. It can be really frustrating fishing at night if your not used to your surroundings. I prefer fishing at night to fishing in the day myself, you have to concentrate all the time, & you'll be surprised at how many salmon you hook at night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancsflyman View Post
    It is harder fishing at night. The best advice I could give you is fish the pools you intend to fish in day light, to get used to how is best to approach your fishing in the dark pal. It can be really frustrating fishing at night if your not used to your surroundings. I prefer fishing at night to fishing in the day myself, you have to concentrate all the time, & you'll be surprised at how many salmon you hook at night too.
    Its all pools i know well to be honest but silly things like not being able to see my anchor so lifting it and ending up with the fly in the bushes behind me. Must say its getting easier but a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I just wish I could get the hunger back for fishing. This past 5 years or so I've fished less and less.

I'm as happy now walking the river with the dog than I am actually fishing.

All the old characters are either too old to make it to the river or are, sadly, no longer with us. Those I meet at the river now know everything, through the Internet, as they haven't actually caught a salmon but try to tell me that I'm not fishing in the right places!

I miss the season when it's closed, look forward to it starting and then have no interest when it's here.

Oh to get the bug again! Sadly, I don't think I'll ever get it back.
    that is so sad but true , I share your feelings, I can count at least half a dozen mornings the alarm has been set for 4am and I've just rolled over and forgot it
    10 years ago is be kicking my ass if I'd have done that
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Its all pools i know well to be honest but silly things like not being able to see my anchor so lifting it and ending up with the fly in the bushes behind me. Must say its getting easier but a long way to go.

Where I fish I don't have to single spey cast, so I'm lucky. Are you fishing with a S/H rod or a D/H ? If you can it'll be easier to roll cast out.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Same here , R..
    I was so tempted when I saw that Hardy rod you had in the classifieds. Then I thought about how little I now fish and how little use it would get and decided against it.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Some interesting sentiments being shared........I'm hoping, despite the reduction in fish, that I can keep my enthusiasm going for a whiles yet.
    Still love making up the sannies and flask, packing the gear, setting off at 3 in the morning and hate leaving the river in the evening....my last casts take forever!
    Some of my cronies have been forced to give up fishing due to ill health and wish they could be get back to the river.
    Mike

Ive fished for trout all over the place nearly all of my life. For salmon I only fish the one river (the Teviot). I dont get many fish but enough to keep me interested. My casting is not fantastic but 'good enough' imo, and my river craft is ok mainly due to my experience of river trout fishing, I'm not bad at that. . .
    The game changer for me would be to fish more rivers. I'd love to fish on other rivers but (1) I dont have a salmon fishing buddy to compare notes with/ learn from (2) Ive never booked a beat so etiquette, tipping etc puts me off a bit as I dont know what to expect.
    If anyone knows a good introductory beat at reasonable cost say on the North Esk etc, I'm all ears. Doesnt need to be a top beat at peak season (not even bothered if I hook a fish), just want to spread my wings a bit.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast