Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do salmon take a fly when running

Do salmon take a fly when running or only when resting in pools in between

I’m not the best to answer given my catch rate. But there are plenty of times in my salmon quest when you’ll be fishing a pool that is dead and start seeing ‘splooshes’ and heading and tailing - and casting toward and into a pool like that - you get something. So yes. And on the flip side, you get nothing. Maybe moving through with purpose. I’d say it’s a far more hopeful quest fishing a pool like the former, than a pool of unhappy resident fish - that show as the line comes over etc.

This season is not a good one to gauge any form of salmon behaviour. The spring was dreadful in our local rivers with nothing being seen or caught.
    However, in a normal season, the best place to hijack running fish is at the heads and tails of pools with a biggish fly on an intermediate line.
    Contact in other areas generally results in pulls or tugs but rarely anything solid.
    See ABKs excellent thread below.
    Get Fly To Runners And Resters
    Last edited by keirstream; 19-06-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Default yes they do

Yes running fish can be caught. I found the tail of a pool after an ardous piece of water to be the best place and sometimes at the head of a pool where they are preparing to move up. I'd concentrate on the tail more then the head. Be sure and fish right down into the tail, both sides of the fastest water and hang or dangle fly too. Be ready for a take and then a run back downstream. But first hook a fish ! Tight Lines.

M
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

Yes, sometimes.

It depends on so many variables including the fish itself and everything else from depth (of fish and lure) to current speed to what else is in the pool, to temperature, light etc. etc.

And as in all salmon fishing there are really no hard and fast rules.

The footage regularly shared by the Ness District Fishery Board cameras shows how they hug the bottom as they migrate.

Default Taking when running.

On the many occasions when I have quite intentionally cast the fly to swing directly in front of what is clearly identifiable as a running fish, I have never had one take. But that doesn't mean it never happens, just not very often (for me, at least!).

You can never say 'always' or 'never' when it comes to salmon. But my feeling is that when a fish is actively running - i.e. actually moving upstream - they don't generally take. But as soon as they pause for a moment, whether it's for as little as 30 seconds or as much as a day or two, they are quite willing takers. That's why, as others have said, you tend to catch so-called running fish in the head or tail of a pool, as these are the places they will tend to stop, rather than in the middle of a pool even though there may be good long-term lies there.

Absolutely, the trouble is that as they’re on the move by the time you notice them they’ve had the chance to spit the hook (in my experience)

Default Running fish

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Yes, sometimes.

It depends on so many variables including the fish itself and everything else from depth (of fish and lure) to current speed to what else is in the pool, to temperature, light etc. etc.

And as in all salmon fishing there are really no hard and fast rules.

The footage regularly shared by the Ness District Fishery Board cameras shows how they hug the bottom as they migrate.
    Interesting,, I would have to say no they dont, REASON!! Of all those fish the NDFB show day after day not one has been caught on the club water and we are 16 weeks into the season. I can assure you there are some proper salmon anglers up there.
    Langavat

I have caught quite a few when they are running.
    Once you work out what is happening and that they are running fish, you have to strike them hard as they are taking the fly but continuing upstream.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast