Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Too boring.

The problem for me with fishing for visibly running fish is the boredom factor. I know a few anglers who will happily sit all day on one particular pool and sometimes it pays off.

But upon doing so myself, I can't help but think of certain other pools, where those very same fish that are running through the beat might very well rest and become takers.

I guess it's a patience thing, a bit like dibbling. I know under certain circumstances it can be very effective, but the thought of standing in one place and just watching that fly bounce up and down... I think I would rather watch paint dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    There are times it will work perfectly, and others, every fish in the river will pass right on by you, heading, tailing, splashing through whilst waving gurt big flags saying "HERE WE ARE NUMBNUTS, COME N CATCH US" and wearing "I HEART WILLIE GUNNS" T shirts.

Thatís made me chuckle all morning.

Running fish drive me insane on the tyne, they head and tail as they pass at full speed without showing any intrest in a fly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You can easily spot the difference between running fish and resting fish....... one`s wearing trainers and the others wearing slippers

DCH

Thanks for the replies all I'm asking as the river ifish has long slow deep pools hard to get the fly to move in the depths so I'm targeting the fast runs that lead into the pools with a floating line and a bigger fly and a dropper for sea trout some of these runs are only knee hight and faster water than the pools hooked a cracking sea trout few weeks ago was about 5 lbs snapped ma 3 lbs line as I stupidly hadn't cleaned ma trout reel and the thing wouldn't run and stuck and off it came it was a Sunday so maybe it knew I wasn't meant to get it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I'd also advise trying to fish yer flee broadside on right in these running lanes at that "magical" depth, give the fish a chance to see the flee right on their nose ends.
    Hi Pedro when you say broadside do you mean fishing it square rather than at 45 degrees.

Thanks Al

What I mean Al, is where ever in the river between its two banks your fishing, look to fishing your flee square on to the fish themselves !, show them it broadside on, not end on, a bit of flash in it won't go amiss either.Its a lot harder to do than you might think!.If it means fishing square then that's what you have to do.This is another of those "penny's just dropped" moments, when you get a grip of fishing a flee at the correct depth and speed!.Francis Grant's book- Salmon Fishing Dynamics helps here no end once you read and absorb it!.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    Hi Pedro when you say broadside do you mean fishing it square rather than at 45 degrees.

Thanks Al
    Essentially, how to achieve this effect is to forget about hitting the far bank. All you are doing is having casting practice unless you know a minted lie over there which is going to produce maybe by dropping a heavy fly on top of it. Generally, by the time your fly then reaches the running lanes nearer your bank or even midstream, your fly is effectively dangling in excess of 60 degrees which means you are showing the fish a very small target indeed. It has also in every probability, sunk below fish eye level by that time especially if you are not working it back.
    Fish the zones nearer to where you are standing on short, square lines and work the fly back, keeping it as square as you can. Try it and see how your catches go. This season though, factor in a lack of fish wherever you go and take that into your overall conclusions.
    Never mind, we'll get 'em.
    Respect My Authorita!!

I wonder if this why we often seem to catch on the dropper, when (to my mind) I feel as though it must be fishing less well than the point fly?

That is, the point fly is leading as the line swings around, but the point fly is being dragged along behind and to the side of the main line/leader configuration - thus displaying more of a side on view of the fly to a waiting fish, compared to the point fly.

As I say, I always feel like the dropper fly is not 'swimming' properly, but just being dragged along - but then goes on to catch more fish.

Just a thought.

Reading this with interest - A few observations -
    i often decline a boat run across our main pool to fish the generally more productive left bank. Staying on right with a normal downstream wind allows me to cast completely square 90 degrees- using double Spey and achieve better presentation & fly speed - -less takes on the slow dangle a further bonus.

When spinning a slower holding pool I tend to cast marginally above square to let the Toby dig in and retrieve square - give them a quick but good side on look at it.

Finally re the Ness videos - what we should remember is although the river is approx 60 yards wide the camera site is a very narrow running line - perhaps 15 feet wide - hence strong flow and seems the fish hunker down to go through it.

Z

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast