Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Reducing the taking of salmon is only one part of the Environment Agency’s larger national programme to protect salmon stocks.

Actions taken by the Environment Agency and its partners that contribute to protecting salmon stocks include removing barriers, improving water quality, minimising predation, implementing better agricultural practices and addressing unsustainable water abstractions.

Had to laugh at the claims highlighted in bold

Don't blame you for laughing, maybe you should ask them to quantify these benefits?

Angry salmon

You mean to tell me that there are Salmon in the severn:)

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    Don't blame you for laughing, maybe you should ask them to quantify these benefits?
    I tried a few times. I asked the EA about their 5 point plan at the halfway stage. Asked what the quantifiable results were so far and what their contingency plans were should they not be meeting their targets or should there be a risk of not meeting their targets at the end of the 5 years.
    Silence.
    Asked again.
    Silence.
    Asked again.
    Silence.
    Asked again.
    Silence.
    Gave up.

I just wanted to know how they were spending my money and whether there would be any return at all on their investment on my behalf.

I've read loads of the PowerPoints they have online with all these schemes. They are all fluffy sales type pitches with no real results shown other than "we've done this, we're doing that, we plan to do the other." I haven't seen one yet where they demonstrate a real measurable improvement in returning salmon and sea trout arising from any of the works they have carried out. They aren't fit for purpose - one hand spends a pittance on cleaning up rivers while the other rakes in millions selling licenses to pollute the same rivers and they never actually check what it is the polluters are actually dumping, just based on trust. You couldn't make it up.

They are pretty good at making things difficult for fishermen.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

I like to think I wasn’t alone in lobbying really hard against them trying to implement CCR on most rivers the other year. As a result of that, and correspondences received from them it was clear they are clueless about the most basic facts of salmon population dynamics and the real threats they face.

As we all now well know, CCR is just something they can easily do, for free natch, with absolutely no quantifiable benefit to the salmon population (“dead fuish cannae spawn”-adherents NB: that is very different to individual salmon of course!). The logic of 2 decades of ( nigh) CCR on Dee and EA-NRW Rivers pre-16th June is clear. Those rivers and populations perform no better than ones with higher rates of C&K. A formerly heavily netted river did much better too!!!

Dee swimming in salmon is it?

At the time this was taken up also at a number of Forums organised by the AT, which IMHO appears as clueless as the EA-NRW but with the added problem of being partly dependent on them financially.

Trebles all round (but not on the end of your lines of course)

And so it is that chappers and netters and folk who actually do give a flying one about the health of our rivers are deterred from going…

Ideal when the real cause of this decline appears to no longer being properly regulated and the Sewers* are getting worse.

I was considering saying “rivers”, but on reflection the data support the former.

And although the EA-NRW and AT may try and lay the blame on farmers (there’s more coin there and “Operator Self Monitoring” means the "Regulator" seemingly can’t regulate the most likely true problem)… But who encouraged Farmer Giles to spread even more “sewage sludge” on the pristine farmlands*?

The amount of the synchem laden biocide delivered by Human-sh1t-spreading only amounted to less than 0.5 Million tonnes in 1992, but by 2008 it was over 1.2 Million tonnes, now it’s going to be much more right (and that's not taking account of leachate from landfill, ever increasing) but how much they’re not really telling openly.

All the bad stuff from that ultimately ends up in our “The Water Quality Has NEVER Been So Good” Rivers.

The SCS and the Aquaculture industry and the “Eat Processed Synchem Laden Food Not Natural” Capitalist Consumption Brigade saw us all coming.

The cheerleaders of C&R, the folk who didn't lobby against the "thin end of the wedge" the first time it raised it's head, and blindly accepted it the first renewal in 2008/9 and the "Ghillie's Bonkers Petition" supporters all have a lot to answer for.

All IMHO of course. Sue me. Aye

*ok, they’re synchem infested too…!
    Last edited by seeking; Yesterday at 05:21 PM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

So, you don't think 100% C&R will have the desired effect then?

Quote Originally Posted by peterchilton View Post
    So, you don't think 100% C&R will have the desired effect then?

Does anybody? Really!!