Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  34

Default Kids and fishing

Tonight i volunteered to help out at a fishing outing for the local beaver/scout group organized and hosted by the Aberdeen and district angling association,where 12-14 kids were expected to turn up in fact 24 kids turned up, there were 6 fishers and about 6 helpers from the scout group who were mostly women, so you could imagine the chaos that was about to occur. I was assigned 3 kids who were mostly well behaved with no problems apart from one kid who hooked his finger and needed a plaster from my first aid kit.
    One of the other charges didnt get of so lightly, one fearless kidd decided to count to three and jumped of the end of a jetty into the water and had to be pulled out by his charge.Good fun though and the kids really enjoyed them selves although the fish were not playing ball i hope at least some of these kids sign up to fishing in the future .

It happens !!!

I am the "programme coordinator" for a schools fishing project down here. So long as the children had a good time and you have the same number of children at the end of the event as you stated with then it is a success !

Well done for taking part, we need more youngsters fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS View Post
    Tonight i volunteered to help out at a fishing outing for the local beaver/scout group organized and hosted by the Aberdeen and district angling association,where 12-14 kids were expected to turn up in fact 24 kids turned up, there were 6 fishers and about 6 helpers from the scout group who were mostly women, so you could imagine the chaos that was about to occur. I was assigned 3 kids who were mostly well behaved with no problems apart from one kid who hooked his finger and needed a plaster from my first aid kit.
    One of the other charges didnt get of so lightly, one fearless kidd decided to count to three and jumped of the end of a jetty into the water and had to be pulled out by his charge.Good fun though and the kids really enjoyed them selves although the fish were not playing ball i hope at least some of these kids sign up to fishing in the future .
    I admire your patience!!
    Sounds like my worst nightmare! Might explain why I have never had kids!

Hi, I was there to help out as an ADAA committee member I think all the fish quickly headed for the middle of the pond! Fortunately, my 3 allocated kids were good fun & there were no mishaps! It was good to see such enthusiasm & the kids had a great time (even the wet one!). Was also great to have an opportunity to help introduce 24 potential anglers to our sport

Cheers

Stewart
    If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong

Nice one. We took the local Urdd Group (local Welsh Language children's group) trout fishing at a local lake last year, we were allowed to use worm, all the children caught trout, and enjoyed, which was great. However the response from the parents was priceless, and the people who said "Diolch yn fawr" (thank you) to me at the school gates was the best of rewards. There were pictures on Facebook of parents and children cooking preparing and eating trout, brilliant! Hoping to take the local Young Farmers next month.
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by Aled View Post
    Nice one. We took the local Urdd Group (local Welsh Language children's group) trout fishing at a local lake last year, we were allowed to use worm, all the children caught trout, and enjoyed, which was great. However the response from the parents was priceless, and the people who said "Diolch yn fawr" (thank you) to me at the school gates was the best of rewards. There were pictures on Facebook of parents and children cooking preparing and eating trout, brilliant! Hoping to take the local Young Farmers next month.
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    The Urdd. Now there's a blast from the past. Spent a few weeks / weekends at Llangrannog.

I've helped out a few times at Llandegfedd with disabled days (organised by WSTAA) before i left S Wales and with kids at our club on the Welsh Dee.
    We had an APGAI instructor run introduction days for kids, but it got harder and harder with all the rules and regulations. Got to the stage where he had to ask permission to hold a child's hand to show them the correct casting action.
    The club stopped doing it in the end. Shame really. There aren't enough kids getting into the sport.

Young farmers. Hmmm. Will speak to my daughter about that one, see if her lot are interested.

Well done to all those who get youngsters out on the banks and to take up our wonderful pastime.
    Last edited by salarchaser; 11-06-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    I think I've got this work life balance thingy right.

That is to say I spend more time in work thinking about fishing than I spend fishing and thinking about work!

That's good to hear, thought when you had said 12-14 expected that you only had a hand full turn up so positive that almost double showed up, certainly need the youngsters to come through or be next to no anglers left, the new trout pond the ADAA have looks like it will be ideal for getting the youngsters hooked (hopefully not many body parts)