Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Droppers

Default Droppers

Inspired by this month's TOTM (visit the thread), I've never fished droppers for salmon or sea trout because my experience has been one of spending more time trying to unpick tangles than actually wetting flies. I am looking for advice on what knots to tie, errors to avoid, favourite combinations for both salmon and sea trout, lengths between fly line and dropper, dropper and tip fly, do lengths change depending on which flies you use, different conditions, what not to do, leader rings or in-line knots, dropper length etc etc. Anything which might help me catch my first salmon or sea trout while fishing a dropper. I normally fish dropperd when trout fishing but that is easy, there seems to be so many options and pitfalls in salmon and especially night sea trout fishing I definitely need help Much appreciated in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Inspired by this month's TOTM (visit the thread), I've never fished droppers for salmon or sea trout because my experience has been one of spending more time trying to unpick tangles than actually wetting flies. I am looking for advice on what knots to tie, errors to avoid, favourite combinations for both salmon and sea trout, lengths between fly line and dropper, dropper and tip fly, do lengths change depending on which flies you use, different conditions, what not to do, leader rings or in-line knots, dropper length etc etc. Anything which might help me catch my first salmon or sea trout while fishing a dropper. I normally fish dropperd when trout fishing but that is easy, there seems to be so many options and pitfalls in salmon and especially night sea trout fishing I definitely need help Much appreciated in advance
    I always fish a dropper when there are seatrout around as well as salmon - lots of people I know don't fish droppers-I think its personal choice-I have had some clonking salmon on tiny dropper flies-I have lost fish as the dropper has snagged on a rock-on balance for me I fish droppers. As for knots I never use anything else other than a 3 turn water knot-tied to 8,10 or 12 lb maxima its never failed me.

Ok, so how i fish droppers is.... 4 to 5 foot of tippet onto a poly leader, about 2 foot from the end i use a 4 turn water knot to tie in a dropper section of about 6 inches long then snip the tag end heading up over, then i add a half hitch around the main line on the bottom tag end (this kicks the line out at 90 degrees so it dosent tangle). Then for the tyne i use a size 12 or 14 double stoats tail or tyne toucan on the dropper and any bigger fly that takes my fancy on the bottom, if you are worried about tangles maybe try a small cone head etc so it pulls the leader straight on the cast. This method seems to work on the tyne with the fish taking the tiny fly alot of the time so should work elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I normally just use a blood knot and a dropper of 4 or 5 inches. On a few occassions, the dropper intended for seatrout has taken more salmon/grilse than the "salmon fly" on the point !

You will probably lose one or two due to one or other fly snagging but should be outweighed by the benefits.
    Last edited by Occasional salmon fisher; 31-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional salmon fisher View Post
    I normally just use a blood knot and a dropper of 4 or 5 inches. On a few occassions, the dropper intended for seatrout has taken more salmon/grilse than the "salmon fly" on the point !

You will probably lose one or two due to one or other fly snagging but should be outweighed by the benefits.
    Exactly the same.

I never fish for sea trout at night without a dropper except sometimes when I am using a surface lure. There is more to it than "two flies doubles your chances" but there isn't room here to explain. What flies to use depends on what works on the water you are fishing, I very often use two tubes. What I do often do is spey cast the set up rather than overhead cast. Yes this can cause more disturbance though on a windy night this doesn't matter much but you soon learn to do a quiet single spey. And I find tangles are greatly reduced and when they happen much simpler to sort out.

What I do find is that the dropper takes the majority of fish especially small(ish) sea trout. I have once had a sea trout take the dropper so speeding up the point fly which was promptly taken by a salmon - in itself a lesson in how fast you can retrieve, the point fly was moving at speed when the salmon took it. You do need a friend around to help out landing them when that happens

If the river is low and theres a few residents lying about that are stale and not looking at anything then you should rest the pool until the last hour of light then tie on a large bushy muddler minnow on the dropper and then a small salmon fly on the point. If there is a ripple on the water then even better. I do not know what it is but these stale fish will become active and will take the dropper or turn and nail the point fly. It is almost like salmon fishing on a loch. I lost count one night with the amount of fish my pal rose and hooked in a pool which had been hammered all day without success. When i am tying it up i tend to fish the muddler on a short dropper to limit tangles and the flies only about 3-4ft apart.

Droppesr are de rigueur when salmon fishing on Irish Loughs. Once on Carrowmore I hooked an angry resident on the point fly and a sea trout took the clan chief on the dropper. Much hilarity in the boat as the poor sea trout was dragged hither and thither but both eventually boated.

I always tie with a grinner knot leaving a 4 or 5in tag or alternatively a figure of 8 knot with a separate piece of nylon tied onto the leader with a half hitch to make the tag stand out at 90 deg as described above.

I'd never heard the half hitch trick before but will try it. One of my frustrations fishing droppers was the dropper twisting around the leader. Not a tangle as such but annoying that the two lines seem to always twist around each other.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm planning to start using droppers for sea trout at night. The main reason being the ability to fish two different silhouettes at two different depths.

Thanks for all the advice above. On the back of this I did a Google search and this popped up:

Dropper Knot - Fishing TV

What distance do people go for between the two flies when sea trout fishing?

Thanks,

Tom
    southerndeerservices.co.uk

For me, normally a 7ft polyleader, 6ft of leader, roman moser ring, dropper of 6 inches and 3ft of leader to the point fly.

These are the boys I like Riverge Leader Rings | John Norris
    Last edited by paddymc; 31-05-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast