Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Droppers

The important part missed throughout this thread is to use two different weight strain tippets if using a dropper. I use 12 to 15lb to the dropper and then 8 or 10lb to the point, which in theory will help you to keep a dropper hooked fish if the point fly gets caught in rocks, as the weaker tippet will part before the heavier,

Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    The important part missed throughout this thread is to use two different weight strain tippets if using a dropper. I use 12 to 15lb to the dropper and then 8 or 10lb to the point, which in theory will help you to keep a dropper hooked fish if the point fly gets caught in rocks, as the weaker tippet will part before the heavier,
    I usually find that the fish will tear the hook from itself, before the leader breaks.

This is another method from Stephen that does without a dropper length. The fly is direct in line.
    Works with trout flies, donít see why not for salmon too?

Watch from 2mins > for the knot

I can still remember ever fish I lost because of using a dropper ...I will give an example, a salmon takes the tail fly and then swims over shallow gravel and rocks and snags the dropper and snap goes the line ...double your odds of catching ,double your odds of things going wrong ..

I use Rio rings for salmon and say they are a must if you fish with fluorocarbon.
    Iíll go from 30lb seagur to a ring then 23lb on the point and 18lb on the dropper.. Iíve never had a dropper snag but I have had Fluro slip out going knot to knot costing me two Fish and why I started using them and rings will save you money in the long run, your not having to bin a whole complete cast set up if you change the dropper fly so much or damage the point fly line , just re tie that length to the ring.

interesting thread.
    On summer fishing holidays I would fish for salmon all day and when going out for sea trout at darkening without hesitation like most people I would put a dropper on.
    I have taken a few salmon on the tail fly in the dark and to be honest
    never worried about the dropper while playing the fish.
    Sounds like that's most peoples system, strange how we automatically put a dropper on to fish blindly in the dark, yet worry about the implications while fishing in daylight

Iíve lost fish when a fly on the dropper has been taken and the point fly snagged up during play - once the line goes solid the fish normally pulls free.

Also find them more bother than they are worth at night, when I prefer to keep things as simple as possible.
    If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk....if you want to be happy for life, go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattytree View Post
    I use Rio rings for salmon and say they are a must if you fish with fluorocarbon.
    Iíll go from 30lb seagur to a ring then 23lb on the point and 18lb on the dropper.. Iíve never had a dropper snag but I have had Fluro slip out going knot to knot costing me two Fish and why I started using them and rings will save you money in the long run, your not having to bin a whole complete cast set up if you change the dropper fly so much or damage the point fly line , just re tie that length to the ring.
    I find my knots tend to be weak when using tippet rings, not sure if the ones im using have a slight edge on them but ill give the rio ones a try as i like them on the end of taperd leaders. I use a 4 turn water knot with fluro and havent had any issues but then again i use 12lb for all so im not using differing diameters.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    I'm planning to start using droppers for sea trout at night. The main reason being the ability to fish two different silhouettes at two different depths.

Thanks for all the advice above. On the back of this I did a Google search and this popped up:

Dropper Knot - Fishing TV

What distance do people go for between the two flies when sea trout fishing?

Thanks,

Tom
    I find distance depends what you are trying to do really, i fish mine fairly close so the bigger fly works as an attractor and the smaller fly gets the take but if you are wanting to search out depths then it would depend on the depth of the pool the distance between them and a weigted fly on the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I always fish a dropper when sea trout fishing. In fact I only ever use 4 flies in total for ST, two of which I've shown in this months TOTM.
    The only 'problem' is I often get double hook ups on my local river, worse when theres smaller fish running. Heres a pic from last year

20170801_115215-jpg

. . . oh, and of course, on that occasion I had brain freeze and netted the dropper fish first, that ended up being a palava
    Last edited by AlanT; 01-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast