Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

With caution, a step in the right direction.
    I'm not Fat........... I'm just easy to see!!!

If they can scale up that fast then Scottish salmon farming as we know it is in serious trouble.

Hope springs eternal or wg=hatever .
    I remember thinking fsarmed salmon would save our rivers from poaching and netting.
    how deluded can one get ?
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)

Quote Originally Posted by ACW View Post
    Hope springs eternal or wg=hatever .
    I remember thinking fsarmed salmon would save our rivers from poaching and netting.
    how deluded can one get ?
    Don't fret - you aren't the only one over a certain age who thought that.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

"Where companies such as Atlantic Sapphire are succeeding is in getting investors on board. Besides Atlantic Sapphire, Denmark’s Nordic Aquafarms and Whole Oceans have secured some financing to develop land-based farms in Maine.

The economic rationale behind these projects is that the technology has been proven at facilities such as those currently operated by Atlantic Sapphire in Denmark, albeit at a smaller scale. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    An interesting article about what is a very bullish projection.
    But is there a huge difference between what the plan says and the reality that will unfold?

Many of us might believe that moving salmon farms on shore will solve the sea lice issue but that will only happen if the financial numbers work and this type of aquaculture is untested and is still the bleeding edge despite what the projections might want potential investors to believe.

It might all happen but it might also be a lot of over optimistic hype for a financially unworkable process.

Ultimately for this and other projects like the much reported salmon farm in the UAE it will come down to whether it is profitable in that the consumer will be willing to pay more than the cost.

This will come down ultimately to the quality of the product i.e. the texture of the protein and the production cost per kilogram.

As the Beechgrove guy used to say, "Ah hae ma doots"'

Most of my friends and self thought salmon farming was the answer to our problems. At about that time or just before :U.D.N. had destroyed many rivers. High seas drift netting and in river netting and poaching threating to wipe the salmon out. In views of the time salmon farming was going to save the wild fish which it may have done for all we know.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    "Where companies such as Atlantic Sapphire are succeeding is in getting investors on board. Besides Atlantic Sapphire, Denmark’s Nordic Aquafarms and Whole Oceans have secured some financing to develop land-based farms in Maine.

The economic rationale behind these projects is that the technology has been proven at facilities such as those currently operated by Atlantic Sapphire in Denmark, albeit at a smaller scale. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    An interesting article about what is a very bullish projection.
    But is there a huge difference between what the plan says and the reality that will unfold?

Many of us might believe that moving salmon farms on shore will solve the sea lice issue but that will only happen if the financial numbers work and this type of aquaculture is untested and is still the bleeding edge despite what the projections might want potential investors to believe.

It might all happen but it might also be a lot of over optimistic hype for a financially unworkable process.

Ultimately for this and other projects like the much reported salmon farm in the UAE it will come down to whether it is profitable in that the consumer will be willing to pay more than the cost.

This will come down ultimately to the quality of the product i.e. the texture of the protein and the production cost per kilogram.

As the Beechgrove guy used to say, "Ah hae ma doots"'
    AS have already produced 10,000 tonnes in Denmark in a RAS system and selling it for a large premium over open cage fish. This is why they are getting investors. They have built a huge RAS farm in the US which will produce 90,000 tonnes pa when at full capacity in 2025. The eggs are already in for the first commercial batches. They are planning to expand to 200,000 tonnes pa within 5 years. There is serious money behind them too. I've looked at 2 or 3 big offers from RAS start ups on behalf of a very large investor without being very convinced. These guys have already proved the concept; the only question is whether they can successfully scale up and whether they can do it so quickly. If they can then the Scottish industry will be in trouble if it doesn't follow suit. Production costs will be higher but so far the consumers are prepared to pay more for a more sustainable product.
    Last edited by Loxie; 17-05-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goosander View Post
    Most of my friends and self thought salmon farming was the answer to our problems. At about that time or just before :U.D.N. had destroyed many rivers. High seas drift netting and in river netting and poaching threating to wipe the salmon out. In views of the time salmon farming was going to save the wild fish which it may have done for all we know.
    Bob.
    I guess that depends on which side of the country you fish!