Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Default Junction beat on Tweed availability

I see they are now offering rods on Fishpal. That is a sign of the times especially for Sept/Oct. However, at £350 for the latter per day and last season only 20 were caught for that month they may still struggle to find takers. It is a 6 rod beat as
    well.
    FishPal - Scotland - Tweed - Junction

It is unfortunately a sign of the times. Iím not sure of what the prices were before the downturn.

The problem for many beat owners are that a lot of the fixed price outgoings (wages, insurances, light and heat etc. donít fall when catches do.
    I'm not Fat........... I'm just easy to see!!!

The beat will be up for sale in the near future I expect. As will many other Tweed beats.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I'm one of a group of mates who are fishing it the week after next & have done for several years.

I hope we get some rain, but either way it can be pretty productive at this time of year. I could never get anywhere near affording the Autumn fishing in years gone by, but I know that October peak times were a grand a day per rod [+] & back then there were waiting lists for these weeks.

I feel really saddened by the loss of the Tweed Autumn run, the week we took at the end of October/ beginning of November on the upper Tweed used to be my favourite week of the season; some good sized fish were caught & good numbers too. Now sadly just a memory.

Regards, Tyke.
    Last edited by Tyke; 16-05-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I feel really saddened by the loss of the Tweed Autumn run, the week we took at the end of October/ beginning of November on the upper Tweed used to be my favourite week of the season; some good sized fish were caught & good numbers too. Now sadly just a memory.
    I can't even remember the year now but I think it was 2006 when me and my mate fished Traquair like we had done every year 2nd week in Nov.
    We had 23 fish in 2 days between us, the 3rd day we were washed off.
    We fished Traquair for the last time in 2017 and in 3 days we didn't even see a fish never mind catch one. We blanked on the best upper Tweed beat in the 2nd week of November.Unheard of!!
    We won't be going back either due to the fact that the estate couldn't even be bothered restoring the banks after the big flood but they were prepared to sit back and cash in. The river bed and banks have changed significantly and the holding pools like the Boat Pool,Bridge Pool,New Water and The Mound especially don't hold fish anything like they did in years gone by.
    As you say Tyke..Just a memory but at least I witnessed it at it's best.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Sad to hear about the decline of the Tweed.

Just curious to know whether any beats are loosening restrictions on spinning to try and boost catches and attract more anglers? Is this happening?

To be fair to the Tweed, most rivers seem to have much reduced/negligible autumn runs at the moment.

It is particularly noticeable on the Tweed as it used to be so famous for its autumn runs.

I only fished it once in autumn in the late 80s/early 90s on a lower beat in September.

Caught a few, lost a few and saw hundreds ! Nearly all fresh.
    Last edited by Occasional salmon fisher; 16-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
    Sad to hear about the decline of the Tweed.

Just curious to know whether any beats are loosening restrictions on spinning to try and boost catches and attract more anglers? Is this happening?
    Currently the Tweed season runs from 1st February to 30th November.

It is fly only for the first 2 weeks, with spinning permitted from 15 Feb to 14th September [at the beat owners discretion], but is fly only from 15th September to 30th November -which is historically when the main Autumn run of fish took place.

Some beats have always spun quite a lot in the summer [indeed many bottom Tweed beats on the tidal water need this option, particularly when the tide causes the river to back up in the big slow dubs when fly fishing wouldn't be a practical option until the tide drops out & the river flows again]. Other beats spin occassionally [in coloured water after rain etc] but tend to fly fish most of the time because they are suited to it. There isn't really a one-size-fits-all option as the river varies so much throughout its' length; but as I said above there are bye-laws which limit spinning at the beginning & end of the current season.

Regards, Tyke.

junction along with all the main river has seen catches drop dramatically, worst in the autumn, there is now next door to no fresh run in these months, resulting in targeting old river fish, these old prime months are now little more than a disappointment, the best of the fish now run much earlier, junction have as many other beats had to do, amend costs in these old prime months, but as SD quite rightly says overhead costs don't reduce.
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn