Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12

Default Fly Line Recycling

Good Morning All
    Just thought this would be of interest to us all in the current climate.
    Anybody out there heard of this? I like the look of it and will be looking at getting in touch soon. I have fly lines that need to be recycled!
    Tight Lines
    Aled

ANLRS | Anglers National Line Recycling Scheme
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Yes I've heard of this. There's been talk in the sea angling circles on this topic for some time and its live now. One shop I know that has adopted this scheme is Keens Tackle in Aberkenfig. I'm sure there are others but this is certainly a shop on the go. They are a big sea angling shop but have some coarse and fly as well as a shooting dept.

Cheers

Mike

Yea heard of this. Is it for real!!!! Why do you discard it - just burn it leaving no trace.. Too simple a solution I guess.

No, No, No Fixedspool. You've put yor foot in it yet again. Don't you realise that if you just burn your line it leaves several tons of filthy Co2 in the atmosphere and the cumulative damage caused by every salmon fisherman burning his lines could wipe out every polar bear. I used to burn my lines without giving it a second thought and now there are no polar bears in Herefordshire at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fixedspool View Post
    Yea heard of this. Is it for real!!!! Why do you discard it - just burn it leaving no trace.. Too simple a solution I guess.
    But it doesn't just burn and leave no trace, there's still the plastic which won't degrade for a blooming long time.

I 'recycle' mine in the garden. Most of my climbing plants are and have been for years, supported by old flylines. Also used cut up for tying plants in.

We can't really get rid of plastic properly at the moment so trying to re-use it as much as possible is the best option.

As an aside, in my business we're now selling a range of roller blinds called Aquatex, the fabric of which is made entirely from reclaimed plastics from the ocean. A small step but one in the right direction.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    But it doesn't just burn and leave no trace, there's still the plastic which won't degrade for a blooming long time.

I 'recycle' mine in the garden. Most of my climbing plants are and have been for years, supported by old flylines. Also used cut up for tying plants in.

We can't really get rid of plastic properly at the moment so trying to re-use it as much as possible is the best option.

As an aside, in my business we're now selling a range of roller blinds called Aquatex, the fabric of which is made entirely from reclaimed plastics from the ocean. A small step but one in the right direction.
    My dad does that, the climbing plants at their new house are all growing nicely up lengths of old double taper wet cell lines Fly Line RecyclingFly Line Recycling.
    I wanted one to try and weld loops into to make mini 18 inch sink tips for low water but hes used them all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oh dear a bit of a hands up here, I too use old fly line to tie up my Runner Beans....
    But still have a pile left so I like the idea of recycling the plastic!
    Cheers
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Quote Originally Posted by rightangle View Post
    No, No, No Fixedspool. You've put yor foot in it yet again. Don't you realise that if you just burn your line it leaves several tons of filthy Co2 in the atmosphere and the cumulative damage caused by every salmon fisherman burning his lines could wipe out every polar bear. I used to burn my lines without giving it a second thought and now there are no polar bears in Herefordshire at all.

No Polar Bears left Rightangle Oh dear. What about the penguin colony. The seals seem fine.

By the way re-using is not the same as re cycling is it -runner beans or not!!
    Last edited by fixedspool; 17-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks for the info Aled, it's been on my mind for a while now. Turns out that my local tackle shop have one of the bins, that I shall now start using !!
    Last edited by Sprintavoj; 17-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Met the gent representing the company at Sportfish Reading last weekend . Recycled goods made even include chairs very clever .