Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Switch Rod

Default Switch Rod

Evening All,

Just a couple of days ago i had the opportunity to fish with a friends switch rod. This was a complete revelation to me. After dismissing them for a few years i am now a convert and looking to get one for myself. I am wondering if any of the members could give me their thoughts on either the Hardy Jet 8/9 11 ft (if i can find one somewhere secondhand) or alternatively the Hardy Demon 7/8 11ft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by polla View Post
    Evening All,

Just a couple of days ago i had the opportunity to fish with a friends switch rod. This was a complete revelation to me. After dismissing them for a few years i am now a convert and looking to get one for myself. I am wondering if any of the members could give me their thoughts on either the Hardy Jet 8/9 11 ft (if i can find one somewhere secondhand) or alternatively the Hardy Demon 7/8 11ft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Polla - I've used a switch rod for the first time this spring and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't comment on the Hardys but the Shakespeare oracle 8/9 switch rod I use is superb. Not just superb for the price, straight out superb. With a 475 grain skagit line, it throws a lovely tight loop a fair distance. I never felt undergunned playing fish with it but there's certainly a bit of extra excitement!

Hi Polla,
    Hardy Jet is very nice rod. It is quite fast with soft tip. I tried 11 7/8wt. (I think....) and I liked it. Just bear in mind that it is trout rated. The one I tried was paired with 8wt. Rio Switch Chucker. Definitely not a good combination.

I have both the rods in question. Firstly the Hardy Jet is marked with a line designation "400 to 510 grains" which is definately not trout weight. I use mine with a 350 Commando, a 480 skagit Scout and a 425 gaelforce switch line and they all work perfectly well.

The Shakespeare 8/9 I use with the 480 Scout and again it functions perfectly well. The rod itself feels a bit "gutless" compared with the Jet but is very pleasant to fish with. I think they can still be bought for 60 odd pounds. Well worth a go.

polla,there's two main reasons for the purchase of a switch rod(well sensible ones any way!)
    1; you need/want a smaller rod for places where your normal arsenal of rods are just too big-as in long and unwieldy- but you still need to fish tubes n sink tips etc.
    2; when you are considering a single handed trout rod for your Salmon fishing, maybe in times of low water or its a small river and you don't need big flee's and sinking gubbins, when tiny flee's and delicate presentation comes to the fore.
    I'd also add, there's not a lot between most 8 weight switch rods of 11ft 6 and say a similar double hander of 12ft to 13ft,just a few inches of carbon!.
    Not for one moment am I saying you should buy this or that rod in this or that weight, its just possible you want a switch rod for the sake of owning one(nowt wrong with that either!),but a little thought and reasoning could well see you with a purchase that will open your fishing out for the best for you!.
    Now I'm a cheat,I've got a light-6weight-switch and a heavier 8 weight switch, there's a world of difference twixt them, but both are very easy to cast and I enjoy fishing and casting them very much.The lighter one especially has put extra fish on the bank for me.
    Best of luck, however you switch it about,Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
    Polla - I've used a switch rod for the first time this spring and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't comment on the Hardys but the Shakespeare oracle 8/9 switch rod I use is superb. Not just superb for the price, straight out superb. With a 475 grain skagit line, it throws a lovely tight loop a fair distance. I never felt undergunned playing fish with it but there's certainly a bit of extra excitement!
    Plus 1 for the Shaky Oracle 8/9 Goes really well with the Barrio Switch line 8/9.