Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Smolt taging.

Default Smolt taging.

Noticed in todays Herald that the people in charge of keeping an eye on the stocks of parr/smolts are asking people to pay £100 to have a smolt named after them and kept informed of its progress.
    Just wondering if you get a refund when it is a goosanders nibble.
    Bob.

That`s me signed up

I am currently sitting here watching wee Klinky Eastwood swimming his little socks off on my iphone at my work desk, on my fancy smolt app called S.H.I.T.E ...Smolts Have Internal Tagging Equipment..........and im smiling away merrily as his wee acoustic signal is pinging away as he passes gently down through Randalphs Leap.......he looks really happy and .....erm....hold on....thats not right........signal ...the signals gone..... deed .......how bizarre, ....no its not, its back, its back......but he now seems to be flying at a height of 60ft and 35mph SSW to Aviemore

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    That`s me signed up

I am currently sitting here watching wee Klinky Eastwood swimming his little socks off on my iphone at my work desk, on my fancy smolt app called S.H.I.T.E ...Smolts Have Internal Tagging Equipment..........and im smiling away merrily as his wee acoustic signal is pinging away as he passes gently down through Randalphs Leap.......he looks really happy and .....erm....hold on....thats not right........signal ...the signals gone..... deed .......how bizarre, ....no its not, its back, its back......but he now seems to be flying at a height of 60ft and 35mph SSW to Aviemore

DCH
    Hehe thatís quality DCH😂🤣

Who would be a scientist ? and watch your experiment fly off into the clouds, unless someone else is paying for it and you are getting paid for it,good work if you can get it.
    Why not sponsor a Gooseander and follow the pings to its nest.
    Last edited by SOS; 23-04-2019 at 03:37 PM.

That`s me signed up

fancy smolt app called S.H.I.T.E ...Smolts Have Internal Tagging Equipment.......

DCH
    Brilliant

That`s me signed up

DCH
    I fear that may not be a joke!

We had a radio tracking experiment on the Exe many years ago and Dr Solomon, who did the tracking gave a talk on the results. The fish were bought off the estuary nets and tagged and released and strategically placed receivers picked them up as they travelled upstream. Apparently one fish spent 6 weeks traveling up to a famous fishing hotel near the top of the river before heading back down to Tiverton at an average speed of 50 miles an hour.

expensive bird food

I am all for the smolt tracking studies,the first one on the Dee told us that about half of the smolts never reached the sea probably because of febs, the second one showed that more reached the harbour only to get smashed by a dredger,what the third will tell us we dont know yet but the important thing is what we do about the information obtained from these studies.
    What the moray firth tracking will tell us is that the febs in these rivers are also feasting on the smolts and then beyond out into the firth if the smolts take a bigger hit from cod or seals or some other predator what then can we do about it?
    Would it not be an idea to have a few receivers placed beside fish farms in Orkney and Shetland to see if the smolts journey takes them near the lice infected cages.