Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by P!scator View Post
    Sorry - I couldn't resist, was too good an opportunity to let pass by
    I'd have done the same!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    Mono based leaders (airflo or Rio) are not robust like braid cored tips (or main flyline) If you get into the habit of testing them you'll see they really do not last that long at rated strength. Mono degrades for a number of reasons - fatigue - uv etc, they can fail at the knot or the loop or anywhere in between.

Think of it this way if you didn't use a poly leader and just used a length of 24lb mono leader on the end of your fly line how long would you fish with it before binning it and starting again? Not to say don't use them - just test them regularly
    Any recommendations on suppliers of braided core tips?
    If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk....if you want to be happy for life, go fishing.

No, I was more comparing the durability of braided core in general - such as you will have seen in versitips etc with mono core such as versileaders. I'm not aware of anyone making coated braided core leaders - though you can get uncoated braided leaders - never used them myself though
    Last edited by ozzyian; 23-04-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Any recommendations on suppliers of braided core tips?
    Cortland is one company that I am aware of that makes the braid in different sizes. You will want just 20 pound for the tippet end of the poly leader. Braided mono holds on to the line that it is slipped over through the Chinese handcuff concept. As you pull on the braided mono you stretch out the material reducing the diameter of the braid, and it holds constantly tighter to the poly leader. It needs to be anchored at the far end somehow, though, or it will just slip off under low tension. A little flexible glue like pliobond does the job perfectly. You could also just tie a nail knot with a rugged salt water fly tying thread.

It is true that a straight piece of mono will deteriorate over time, but it is tying it in knots or otherwise kinking it that will quickly reduce its strength. Without knots, and encased in vinyl - as in a poly leader - a piece of straight mono will hold nearly its original strength for years.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123