Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by myriad View Post
    It would have to be done for everyone as classifieds is available to everyone.

As I say,If I were buying from someone I would need as much info on them as I could and would make sure I was protected by Paypal.No goods arriving Id be straight down to the small claims court and Police.
    myriad, just as an idea can your tech guy create an auto signature that goes onto each classified post?

You could have a small but very prominent paragraph re-stating the dangers and rules of the transaction attached to each classified post.

'Paypal (don't use friends and family) or cash and collect only if you do not know the seller personally. Make sure you do not open yourself to fraud - beware and think like a scammer' etc

Just an idea, it's buyer beware out there to an extent and at least this way you've highlighted the risks.
    Avast ye scurvey dogs

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    myriad, just as an idea can your tech guy create an auto signature that goes onto each classified post?

You could have a small but very prominent paragraph re-stating the dangers and rules of the transaction attached to each classified post.

'Paypal (don't use friends and family) or cash and collect only if you do not know the seller personally. Make sure you do not open yourself to fraud - beware and think like a scammer' etc

Just an idea, it's buyer beware out there to an extent and at least this way you've highlighted the risks.
    I can suggest it,but really we should all be aware of scammers and when its your money your giving away we should be always be carefull.There are a lot of very good scammers out there.

AllI can say is Do not use paypal gift or friends unless they are someone you know well like 60 years,otherwise protect yourself with paypal.I certainly would not be giving my Bacs details to someone I don't know nor cash.
    Best regards

Admin Team

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post

The "auto signature" for classifieds isn't a bad idea, but instead of repeating advice that could be handled by the sticky post at the top of the section, if admin (understandably) can't process or control the random posters on the sales section, why not allow sellers and buyers to voluntarily send to admin their proof of ID. Then maybe a eg a badge indicating "ID provided" could be added to the member profile.

That would encourage others to use that system and help assure participants the provenance of whom they are dealing with.
    Provenance from other platforms such as eBay is another question you can ask.

EG. Ask them for their eBay details and check their feedback etc.

The locking down of comments removes a layer of provenance.
    A seller with a good history of commenting and feedback (eg "Line/rod etc arrived ok" etc) can give more confidence to a prospective buyer.
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 15-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myriad View Post
    I can suggest it,but really we should all be aware of scammers and when its your money your giving away we should be always be carefull.There are a lot of very good scammers out there.

AllI can say is Do not use paypal gift or friends unless they are someone you know well like 60 years,otherwise protect yourself with paypal.I certainly would not be giving my Bacs details to someone I don't know nor cash.
    Luckily I've never had an issue buying from here - and that's been using paypal as gift/friend.

Just a thought though, as your advising us not to send money as gift/friend - why don't you make it a condition of using the Classifieds that paypal must be for goods and services? Obvs sellers would have to factor in the small extra charge in their prices.

That way, should things go wrong, then a buyer is protected.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Luckily I've never had an issue buying from here - and that's been using paypal as gift/friend.

Just a thought though, as your advising us not to send money as gift/friend - why don't you make it a condition of using the Classifieds that paypal must be for goods and services? Obvs sellers would have to factor in the small extra charge in their prices.

That way, should things go wrong, then a buyer is protected.

To be honest,more rules?

Plus if we did,I really don't want to be popping in every day and checking to see if each ad has done it,then removing then contacting the seller its a lot of work which as I have always said work with us rather than them and us.

Bear in mind this thread has arisen because of 1 event.It is not often it happens now which is good and credit to members.When it does happen though it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for all.Especially when its not a newish member who has done it.
    Best regards

Admin Team

Default T'other Side of the Coin!

I've not bought or sold a great deal off this site or any other really for that matter, but the dealings I have had have been satisfactory and amenably done.
    I've sold rods to Stateside buyers twice,1st time was smooth as Galaxy choccy., nice as pie and all went perfectly and predictably as planned.
    The second time, the time scales promised were no where near and the costs nothing at all like those advertised.What should have taken 4 days took 3 weeks, none of it was my fault(ok could have researched it better, done more home work etc.).I was left explaining to the buyer why what had been promised wasn't happening, why the terms and conditions weren't being met and where his new rod was.
    Luckily it all panned out in the end, but here's the rub.There was sod all I could do about it all, and if it had have gone tits up I would've been left carrying the can.Now I don't like this,I took it as a personal slight on my character that what I'd promised wasn't being delivered.
    It has put me off selling/buying again, thats a single experience out of say 6 in total.The other parties did everything right and came up with the goods/brass as promised, but that single time it all fell apart on the service from me to the buyer through the carriers!
    Now thats all without any devious dealings , dodgy scams, or plain n simple robbery.
    A little time and patience sorted things in my case, but its still wholy uncool to have doubt and aspertions cast in your direction, and that was despite me taking steps in keeping the buyer informed at all times and stages of the deal too!.(He was actually pretty well cool about the whole thing,because I kept talking to him about how the deal was progressing and what was happening etc.,I think he like me was getting impatient for the deal to be concluded).
    Remember in all of these type of proceedings, it just might not be the buyers or seller actual fault, rather than couriers/delivery companies and how does this site legislate for such occasions-a flaming' minefield there I think!.
    Pedro.

I've never bought or sold anything on the Classifieds here but I have bought quite a lot on e-bay over the years.

Very rarely has there beren a problem, the vast majority of sellers seem to be bona fide, honest types.

Although I am not sure how much I would pay for something to be posted to me unless a seller has a fairly good rating (ideally 100% on quite a few transactions). Although nearly everything is paid via Paypal so I guess quite a bit of protection there.
    Last edited by Occasional salmon fisher; 15-04-2019 at 04:21 PM.

As said upthread - if the seller ain't got PayPal walk away. The only exception being cash face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    As said upthread - if the seller ain't got PayPal walk away. The only exception being cash face to face.
    I agree..............
    Mark

A point worth remembering is that any private sale over the Internet involves a degree of trust. If you have ever tried to make a claim off PayPal you will know it isn't easy. They don't like paying out, and if you haven't done things to the letter you haven't a hope.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234