Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by neilt View Post
    A lot of sense being talked above.
    If you’re on your “own” bit of water - first run thru the pool - up to your shins wading, poly & dressed fly. Second run wade deeper, same set up. Third run - sinking line & tube - chuck it far and give it a good trawl through.
    Sure thing but I would caveat when I mix and match lines I normally have 2 rods set up and use one exclusively for the sinker and the other one to explore distances and depths.
    On my beat the average width is around 30 yards and I would say that normally 70% of the fish are caught in the 1st third of the river and 20% in the inside 2/3. The rest are caught where pools widen and lies are further across.
    If we do have periods of high water though then the inside portion of the river comes into its own and pretty much reverses the above.
    You need to be aware at all times of what is happening in different flows.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
    One of the things I love about salmon/steelhead fishing is Spey casting and I've worked hard to become a better caster over the years. I'd never claim to be a brilliant caster, but I'm definitely much better than I was!

When I started Spey casting I imagined that if I learned to cast a long line I would catch a lot of extra fish. As I've got a bit more experienced, I begin to think that that isn't really the case. Yes, it's a useful weapon in the armoury to fish the odd holding spot a way out but these days I'm rarely trying to bang out long casts. There's a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, unless the current is particularly uniform, the longer a cast is the harder it is to mend it so that it fishes properly. Secondly, it's tiring.

For those reasons I spend most of my time these days banging out around 80' (depending on the water I'm fishing). Whatever technique I've acquired over the years I use to make those casts without much effort and to ensure they turn over properly and land nice and straight.

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts. Do you feel that casting a long line makes a significant difference to your catch rate?

T
    I totally agree with your point of view .
    Some years ago I fished mostly with strong 14ft and 15ft rods to cast a long line. In the afternoon and early evening, when the fishing was often at its best, I often get tired and did some indelicate or wrong casting. Nowadays I mostly fish with my 13ft or a light 14ft rod and fish a shorter line in a faster way. For me that’s much more comfortable and catches the same amount of fish.
    The only rivers where I felt a bit underdistanced with this method are the Spey, Gaula and Dalsälven.On some places the Tyne if the water is in a big flow.
    Last edited by lax0341; 15-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.

[QUOTE=keirstream;1130447]”Sure thing but I would caveat when I mix and match lines I normally have 2 rods set up and use one exclusively for the sinker and the other one to explore distances and depths.”
    Full Tay day out - I always have at least 2 rods up.

Agree with the points being made. As mentioned there can be an advantage to a long cast at a sharp angle to the stream, casting downstream at a sharp angle to allow a slower swing of the fly, especially in waters that are a bit on the fast side. One might cast well over 100' but the perpendicular distance from you might only be 40' or 50'. Also, if stealth is needed the longer casting keeps you farther from your quarry. And, I have found that as I age I don't trust my wading abilities as much and wading the shallower water forces me to cast a bit farther to hit the desired lies.
    I do like to fish the longer rods and lines but as mentioned you don't always know what the fly is doing so far out there. How many currents are acting on the fly distorting the swing? I do seek out those wider flats with relatively even flows on big rivers that can hold fish as I enjoy fishing this way. Unfortunately there are not lots of runs like this where I am at.

There no escaping the truth that the far bank has a magnetic attraction for the average novice. This causes them to try to hard and as a result deliver disorderly casts with poor leader extension, that actually only fish a small part of the river effectively. As they gain experience they learn that a well delivered fly that is working effectively immediately after arrival will catch more fish.

This is what led me to write:

Common Novice Error 1 - Dumb Distance
    Common Novice Error 2 - Far Bank Fixation
    Common Novice Error 5 - Forgetting the Fly

We also make the error of extending our line too quickly when we first start fishing a pool, rather than clearing the foreground effectively. Working the fly to cover the lies closer to you yields more fish than stopping when the head is at optimum casting length.

I don't fish big rivers frequently, but on the medium sized ones I have historically caught most fish within 50 or so feet of the rod tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Thank you for the vote of confidence Tommy; even when using a 15 foot rod I seldom have to push much beyond 80 feet. I estimate distance by knowing the length of my leader at 15 feet - the olive green body of my line at 45 - usually 10 or 15 feet of my orange running line out and the length of the rod at roughly 13 feet extending outward from my position. Let me see what that is......looks like 83 to 88 feet when using the big rod on big rivers

What type lines do you use, length and weight?
    Well, I'm swinging some fairly substantial flies these days so I'm limited to skagit type set ups most of the year. I've got three main set ups for this:

1. My small river set up is a switch rod with a 23' 475 grain skagit. I've been using this most of this spring and thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. My standard steelhead set up is a 625 grain skagit max long (29' ?).

3. My chinook/heavy tips set up is a 750 grain skagit max long.

When I was back in the uk fishing for atlantics my favourite set up, which for casting pleasure is still my favourite, was a 65' carron floating line fished with poly leaders.

I agree with many of the earlier posts which said that people often over-wade in new water, & try to chuck it too far, beyond where they can maintain control; as they will do better fishing their' side of the river more effectively - that is, on most occasions.

However, once they have done this, & assuming they aren't due to change beats in the next 15 minutes, then that is the time to remember that the river has 2 banks & fish may lie off both of them. So, assuming you can stretch out & throw a long line 40 or more yards, with the appropriate level of precision & control (that's always the big rider here) then, if it opens up new water to you that was unfished on the previous run down, do it - it won't do any harm and it may catch you a fish you wouldn't have otherwise caught.

The angler just has to be realistic about what he/ she can achieve; a hint here, a 16 ft rod & long line will give better control as to how the fly fishes than a 13 foot rod & a Skagit head, & no, I no longer fish a 16 footer & a long line as my default setting because I'm getting older & it's hard work for a full week - but for a couple of hours I still love it!

In short, long casting isn't required for 90 - 95% of the time, but if you can do it well & control the swing of the fly at range, then on the other occasions it may just catch you a fish that you would otherwise have missed.

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I agree with many of the earlier posts which said that people often over-wade in new water, & try to chuck it too far, beyond where they can maintain control; as they will do better fishing their' side of the river more effectively - that is, on most occasions.

However, once they have done this, & assuming they aren't due to change beats in the next 15 minutes, then that is the time to remember that the river has 2 banks & fish may lie off both of them. So, assuming you can stretch out & throw a long line 40 or more yards, with the appropriate level of precision & control (that's always the big rider here) then, if it opens up new water to you that was unfished on the previous run down, do it - it won't do any harm and it may catch you a fish you wouldn't have otherwise caught.

The angler just has to be realistic about what he/ she can achieve; a hint here, a 16 ft rod & long line will give better control as to how the fly fishes than a 13 foot rod & a Skagit head, & no, I no longer fish a 16 footer & a long line as my default setting because I'm getting older & it's hard work for a full week - but for a couple of hours I still love it!

In short, long casting isn't required for 90 - 95% of the time, but if you can do it well & control the swing of the fly at range, then on the other occasions it may just catch you a fish that you would otherwise have missed.

Regards, Tyke.
    I very much agree with this. Most of my fishing is on large rivers, and there are occasions when the ability to cast a long line definitely has put extra fish on the bank. I can think of two examples off the top of my head. In one case, there's a particular spot on a regular beat of mine that has on one occasion given me three fish, and on another two, in short order. In the other, on a beat I've only fished once, I had two fish from a small area, and lost another two, in the course of a three day visit. In all three of these instances, I'm pretty sure that nobody else in the parties had a fish out of these taking lies while I was there - because I don't think they could cover them effectively. Both places needed a cast of 35+ yards not only to get your fly in the right place but also to get it there at an acute enough angle to fish at a sensible speed (i.e. not too square a cast). So in answer to the original question "Do you feel that casting a long line makes a significant difference to your catch rate?", I can say with confidence that casting a long line has caught me fish that I wouldn't otherwise have caught.

The corollary to this is whether casting too long a line has sometimes meant that I haven't caught fish that I might otherwise have done. And of course that's an unanswerable question. But we can at least consider why it might have done so. There are two possible reasons that spring to mind. First, there is always a danger with a long line that you don't fish your cast right round as far onto the dangle as you possibly can. The second is that your fly might be travelling too slowly in the last 25% or so of the swing, so a fish either loses interest or doesn't have its interest piqued. Both of these are probably valid points - but it must be said that neither is an intrinsic and unavoidable part of fishing a long line. Assuming that you work your fly a bit, you should always be able to fish it round not only as far, but also as fast, as you need. So neither of these ought in itself to be a reason for not casting a long line.

Of course, there's rarely any point in casting your fly where there are no fish, and there are certainly times when casting too far is just a waste of time. But provided that you don't just always cast to your maximum distance, and know when to restrict it - or, if casting a long line, you think about the fishing of it as well as just the casting - on a big river I would argue that long casting can often be significantly beneficial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12