Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  104
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Touchy folk

  1. #1

    Default Touchy folk

    Just an observation but there's some proper touchy folk about on here. I've had it sometimes myself after posting an off the cuff remark mostly in jest, but why can't people lighten up a bit ?

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    There's a chance that people may take things in ways other than we mean them to be taken because in online forums it is easy to get weird replies on threads.

    When we are writing, our own meanings may seem clear to us but the way our words may be read and comprehended by others can never be guaranteed.

    I am a 'proof reader' I write then I read and then read again to see if what I'm trying to say is clear. Even with the additional effort I sometimes manage to get someone all ****** at me. The best you can do is try to imagine the context in which your written words may be taken. If there seems to you that there's a good chance you may be misunderstood you are probably right.

    many times I've written a reply only to leave it unposted because it reads like nonsense, this one is getting dangerously close so I'll stop here

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paisley strathclyde.
    Posts
    3,483

    Default

    I have a simple rule. Never put out something I would not say to ones face. If someone dislikes what I say or it offends them then that is there problem.
    Bob.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    There's a chance that people may take things in ways other than we mean them to be taken because in online forums it is easy to get weird replies on threads.

    When we are writing, our own meanings may seem clear to us but the way our words may be read and comprehended by others can never be guaranteed.

    I am a 'proof reader' I write then I read and then read again to see if what I'm trying to say is clear. Even with the additional effort I sometimes manage to get someone all ****** at me. The best you can do is try to imagine the context in which your written words may be taken. If there seems to you that there's a good chance you may be misunderstood you are probably right.

    many times I've written a reply only to leave it unposted because it reads like nonsense, this one is getting dangerously close so I'll stop here
    I generally do all that but it still doesn't always work Touchy folk I think the problem is more about people reacting to a post before reading and digesting what's been written. I've seen quite a few recently that read fine, only to see a completely ott reaction from someone. The main reason I try to avoid the Brexit thread Touchy folk

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default

    Posts get misinterpreted, but I think it just comes down the fact that this forum in particularly, after an exodus and bannings of very good members and all that came with it, is now only left with oddballs, megalomaniacs and snowflakes and they have nobody else to spar with now apart from themselves


    DCH

  6. #6

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    Posts get misinterpreted, but I think it just comes down the fact that this forum in particularly, after an exodus and bannings of very good members and all that came with it, is now only left with oddballs, megalomaniacs and snowflakes and they have nobody else to spar with now apart from themselves


    DCH
    I think you are being a bit hard on yourself there. I wouldn't class you as an oddball, meglamaniac or snowflake but then what do I know. Or have I got that message wrong.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wee-Eck View Post
    I think you are being a bit hard on yourself there. I wouldn't class you as an oddball, meglamaniac or snowflake but then what do I know. Or have I got that message wrong.

    Hahaha .....

    DCH

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    Posts get misinterpreted, but I think it just comes down the fact that this forum in particularly, after an exodus and bannings of very good members and all that came with it, is now only left with oddballs, megalomaniacs and snowflakes and they have nobody else to spar with now apart from themselves


    DCH
    I think the collective term is “salmon fishermen”. Those from some rivers seem to display those tendencies more than others.

  9. #9

    Default

    Cant really say ive sparred with anyone on here, its a forum about a hobbie. Nowt life or death.
    As above i would say on here the same as i would say in person which is being polite and chatty unless mirroring the chattees (think i just invented a word) attitude towards me or others. I dont put up with idiots and attitude but ive not really found that in salmon fishing at all and only had the odd one or 2 run ins on the river bank.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonCurlyHorny View Post
    Posts get misinterpreted, but I think it just comes down the fact that this forum in particularly, after an exodus and bannings of very good members and all that came with it, is now only left with oddballs, megalomaniacs and snowflakes and they have nobody else to spar with now apart from themselves


    DCH
    Not being aware of all these 'very good members' who have been banned from the website I would still respectfully have to share something I've learned. I've been moderating and managing forums for nearly 12 years and one thing I know about members being banned is that people have to cross a line to be removed from a fly fishing forum.

    Sometimes the incidents that precipitate someone being banned occur out of site of the open threads. Most often (in my own experiences) a member is contacted via PM to request that they change a behavior pattern and the person reacts in a very negative manner. Other instances are the result of repeated transgressions after many warnings.

    In essence what such things have demonstrated to me is that regardless of whoever or how many other members may think someone is a "very good member" banned members have demonstrated beyond doubt that we can survive without their participation.

    Just yesterday my e-mail received a reported post from the UK. Fly Fishing Forums. I followed the link to the thread in question, the member had left a less than friendly post on a thread centered on current political conditions in the UK.

    This is something I tread extremely lightly around because I am neither a citizen of the UK. nor am I well versed with the intrinsic of current political unrest...……..

    Out of curiosity I took a look at this fellows posting history. I was familiar with his username because I've handled at least half dozen reported posts centered on him lately. After scanning 9 pages of posts (that's 225 different replies or started threads) I did not fine one, that's (1) post about fishing.

    You may see this differently but to me that's pretty damming, 225 posts on the Fly Fishing Forums UK. and not a single one regarding fishing, or gear, or locations, not a one. I'd be willing to bet that if I were to scan another 4 pages (100 more posts) I still may not find any about fishing!

    So, what exactly would you say might make that fellow a highly valued participant within a fly fishing club or online forum group?

    There have been others who simply live to be the fly in the ointment, to argue or play devils advocate in any thread they post to. Once again a little time spent examining the history can be very telling when it comes to figuring out why some folks log on to a forum.

    Point being? I've banned some members over the years. I've even deleted accounts along with bans so to completely expunge some peoples record of having ever been on a forum. Do I think I ever did that with regard to a very good member? No, not once, something quite unacceptable has always led up to that point.

    I found fly fishing forums because of organic search results years ago. Over the years I've left some 24,000 posts and started threads. Other than some administrative announcements all of those threads and posts were about fishing or something I do in preparation for fishing like work at my cabin and fly tying etc.

    I'll stop now...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •