Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default where in Ireland?!?....

Got our usual trip to the Finn booked up for July, but we are keen to use one or two of the six days we have to try a new river.

Can anyone recommend a river anywhere in Ireland that produces good sized summer Salmon? Must be available on a day ticket basis!

All help appreciated

Cheers
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "

If you’re staying near the Finn, have a look at the Mourne. Plenty of accessible fly water. Lots of people with much more knowledge than me will be able to tell you more

If you want to wake up wondering where you are, what happened and where the traffic cone came from Ballina.
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

If your looking for good sized fish you might want to look at the rivers on the east. While fish are more plentiful over west the east coast offers a better stamp of fish. But they’ll depend on water which has been in short supply this past couple of years. What methods and type of rivers do you want to fish?

We fish the fly only and prefer streamy , spare rivers but are open to anything accept canal like systems!
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    If you want to wake up wondering where you are, what happened and where the traffic cone came from Ballina.
    Just a traffic cone? Put that down as a night of wasted opportunity so.

Quote Originally Posted by SnapT14 View Post
    We fish the fly only and prefer streamy , spare rivers but are open to anything accept canal like systems!
    The Nore or suir in the south east could be worth looking into. I wouldn’t be familiar with them but I’m sure someone on here could advise. Up my neck of the woods in the northeast you have the dee, glyde and the Fane. Last year was a write off after the middle of June with the drought but the year before July saw a right few decent fish running. Both dee and the glyde were dredged in the 60s and are now glorified canals still produce fish but ain’t classic fly water. The Fane is a lovely wee river to fish but runs of fish ain’t been great this past few years and you would definitely need water. Though if you had water, chances are you’d have the river to yourself

All the Irish salmon fishermen that I know fish the Thurso.

In general in ireland wee don't get big summer salmon, as mentioned east coast and nore still have their big average salmon.
    Your only there a week, the Mourne is well worth a throw IMHO, mostly spate rivers in Donegal and the West coast. I think a 5lb fresh summer grilse is a worthy catch and would be happy if could land a few in a pre booked week Usually any fish 9+ im may and June id class these as late springers.
    Last edited by skyhook; 13-04-2019 at 08:39 AM.

You have the drowes. The easky ( the forelands)and the EMMA on the moy all very good fly water!! All within reach of the Finn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast