Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Based on the available photo they look full and contain few splits, that said the price computes to $729.94 USD including post to Alaska..... I must say that is a bit rich even for my eccentric tastes

Good ones (full & no splits) have always been dear, I have 2 that I bought in 1979 which I paid $125.00 apiece for way back then. They were banned for import at the time and there were no domestic growers. Those people who had possession of capes with documentation to prove they were pre-import ban feathers had a free hand at the pricing.

I've never plucked a single feather from either of those because I found a domestic grower by early 1980 and since then have always kept at least ten in my JC drawer. That may sound like a hoarder but I've just bought them through the years whenever I found really nice ones. Oddly enough I tend to use lower grade eyes on many of my flies. If and when I see that I've done an especially good job on everything while tying I go to the good stuff

Wonder why they want you to take 5 at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post

I can easy spend 100+ on lunch and a few bevvies in Edinburgh on a Saturday afternoon so, for me, getting a cape lasts a lot longer and does not result in real ale hangover.
    Woa!!!!
    and you haven't moved to Morningside yet????
    Are you a lawyer?
    Respect My Authorita!!

Have never understood how J.F. capes are so dear. Used to rear a lot of parakeets and ornamental pheasants along with Sonnets J.F. and they were no harder to rear than pheasants. Used to gather up the feathers when they moulted and give them away as I had far to many.
    I like J.F. on my shrimp flies. Tied back to back they can make the fly dive and rise in the water. If you do not believe me tye one on an look,
    Bob.

I got a superb cape from this guy on eBay. Sellers name is t**38. Think hes based in France. It was over 25 years old and was 92 including delivery. Like everything these days you get what you pay for. Defo worth checking out. Was top quality

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Woa!!!!
    and you haven't moved to Morningside yet????
    Are you a lawyer?
    Keirstream, Id like to point out that a day like that is not a regular occurrence but neither is buying a JC Cape!!! 🤦

Given the choice, thats how I would prefer to spend my money!!!
    Last edited by Jomo; 12-04-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomo View Post
    I can easy spend 100+ on lunch and a few bevvies in Edinburgh on a Saturday afternoon so, for me, getting a cape lasts a lot longer and does not result in real ale hangover.

Each to their own I suppose!
    You make a very good point with that Jomo. I've recently picked up the dinner check for a party of 4 that was $225.00 and I added a 20% gratuity for the server. After paying we eventually went home and I soon felt sleepy... The following evening I had nothing to show for the previous days expenditures other than the activity in my bank account.

On the other hand ponying up for a really good jungle cock skin actually adds to my net worth. I've always considered those cabinets filled with feathers, fur, and tinsels as a measure of my success. Any time you have doubts just have someone over to do some fly tying together. I've yet to have company who didn't remark over the lush inventory at hand

I'm actually waiting to hear from a feather merchant about getting 2 of his best at this time. Then the tying will be even more fun.

Default AM capes

I had a ride down to AM just before the Scottish fly fair, he had boxes of capes, some smaller ones for the show, which he was knocking out @50, & some bigger and better ones @ 70 up to 120. I picked up a pair of just the right colour, with an excellent range of mid size nails, one @ 50, & one @70.
    Well happy with purchase, and will get a hell of a lot of flies off them !
    Nice, & helpful guy.......and if you don't like his prices....have a look for an alternative source..... I looked for ages....saw a lot of ****, and a lot of 'Out of Stock ' signs.....
    Was amazed to find he was just down the road...a short hop from one of my favourite eateries.....take Mrs for a meal...mega brownie points ...enough for a couple of fishing trips......sneak in a couple of capes.....Result!

Mel...😋

Default Synthetic jungle cock

Quote Originally Posted by Sewinboy View Post
    I have never used jungle cock. I catch my share of fish. You dont need it.
    I rarely use jungle cock these days, I don't want to feel connected to the extinction of another species.

Occasionally I'll use synthetic jungle cock, the trick is to mash
    it up between the fingers a bit before tying it in.

I agree with another poster, I don't believe it makes any difference if you leave it out of a pattern.
    The stream of consciousness is just looking for an ocean in which to open itself

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Ordered one form ebay a few weeks ago - some split nails etc in the pics (not a problem have featherweld) well that was a waste of 50 bucks!

90% of the nails were stuck solid to those behind and just break when you try to separate them.

Not even a reply when I complained to the seller about the abysmal quality.
    who was it Andy as I recently sent back cack capes
    also might save someone a disappointment
    (Mergus merganser) the end of life as we know it......

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    who was it Andy as I recently sent back cack capes
    also might save someone a disappointment
    Hi Craig, seller was flytyerboutique. Certainly wont be buying anything from them again!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast