Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  137
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Springers and snow on the North Esk

Well, as seen elsewhere, there were only 3 of us down at one of our regular spring days at Stracathro today

Weather forecast wasn't great but was glad when I opened the curtains this morning to see it was dry. Picked up Salar 35, ex of this parish, at Stonehaven en route....still dry, but the snow started a wee bit further down the road.. Luckily our mate Gaz got to the hut before us and the woodburner was going well

We were not deterred as the river was at a good height for the beat and a lovely colour. A quick blether, a tot of Gaz's excellent sloe gin and into the snow we went.

The snow was rather wet but was starting to gather momentum as I ghillied for Dave (salar 35) in the Cruik Pool for a bit.
    dsc00544-jpg

Today was Niamh's (the number 1 springer in my life )first day out fishing with me....it was an important to me that I could be sure she'd be able to settle at the fishing - suffice to say she was just brilliant. This is her 'guarding' my rod as I 'ghillied' for Dave.

dsc00543-jpg

Niamh and I headed down to fish the Upper Dam.....fished it through and saw one fish move. Weather was miserable so I dumped the rod and walked Niamh back up to the hut, dried her off and left her firmly ensconced in front of the woodburner.

Headed back down and hoiked Dave out of the tail of the Cruik and put him into the Upper Dam and pointed out the hotspots. Went down and started fishing the Lower Dam. We both saw a small fish and a bigger one show well down the Lower Dam. It was 11.10am, I was just getting near where the bigger of the two fish had showed......and, well the most brutal take I've had in a number of years. The rod was nearly ripped out of my hand, the fish breached, turned and ran at speed. It was a good 80m run right to the tail of the pool with the old Golden Prince screaming. Thought I was going to lose it over the lip of the pool but hung on and turned it in amongst the rocks at the bottom. Got it under control and back up next to us (Dave was down with the net by then). He was just about to start taking pics when I said 'Dave, net now', had a chance and got the fish netted much earlier than expected. Job 'jobbed'! My first of the year, been in since last month and was VERY well rested

Sadly, Gaz lost one about 8lb , right at the net (faffing about with the net...he could have beached it easily) in the same spot mid afternoon.

A braw day out wi good pals never the less!

dsc00548-jpg

dsc00552-jpg
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Well done Dave lovely fish.

Well done!

Brilliant well done,

Quote Originally Posted by Woody123 View Post
    Well done Dave lovely fish.
    ****** aff, Dave was the netter - it was me that got it

Well done, nice fish in wintry conditions.

Tough conditions today andy and i was glad I was tucked up in my bed when I looked at the pert cam this morning... A Braw fish buddy well done and well deserved must say I'd rather look at pics a your gorgeous Niamh than your weathered face

Nice one. Can't beat a Springer in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Tough conditions today andy and i was glad I was tucked up in my bed when I looked at the pert cam this morning... A Braw fish buddy well done and well deserved must say I'd rather look at pics a your gorgeous Niamh than your weathered face
    I couldn't agree more Arnold....she's way more photogenic than me

One oh 'your' crowd was being a tad naughty this morning......fishing well above the Pert boundary. Good job they'd shifted by the time Shuggie came doon! He'd have been apoplectic!

Hope yer feeling better?

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Well, as seen elsewhere, there were only 3 of us down at one of our regular spring days at Stracathro today

Weather forecast wasn't great but was glad when I opened the curtains this morning to see it was dry. Picked up Salar 35, ex of this parish, at Stonehaven en route....still dry, but the snow started a wee bit further down the road.. Luckily our mate Gaz got to the hut before us and the woodburner was going well

We were not deterred as the river was at a good height for the beat and a lovely colour. A quick blether, a tot of Gaz's excellent sloe gin and into the snow we went.

The snow was rather wet but was starting to gather momentum as I ghillied for Dave (salar 35) in the Cruik Pool for a bit.
    dsc00544-jpg

Today was Niamh's (the number 1 springer in my life )first day out fishing with me....it was an important to me that I could be sure she'd be able to settle at the fishing - suffice to say she was just brilliant. This is her 'guarding' my rod as I 'ghillied' for Dave.

dsc00543-jpg

Niamh and I headed down to fish the Upper Dam.....fished it through and saw one fish move. Weather was miserable so I dumped the rod and walked Niamh back up to the hut, dried her off and left her firmly ensconced in front of the woodburner.

Headed back down and hoiked Dave out of the tail of the Cruik and put him into the Upper Dam and pointed out the hotspots. Went down and started fishing the Lower Dam. We both saw a small fish and a bigger one show well down the Lower Dam. It was 11.10am, I was just getting near where the bigger of the two fish had showed......and, well the most brutal take I've had in a number of years. The rod was nearly ripped out of my hand, the fish breached, turned and ran at speed. It was a good 80m run right to the tail of the pool with the old Golden Prince screaming. Thought I was going to lose it over the lip of the pool but hung on and turned it in amongst the rocks at the bottom. Got it under control and back up next to us (Dave was down with the net by then). He was just about to start taking pics when I said 'Dave, net now', had a chance and got the fish netted much earlier than expected. Job 'jobbed'! My first of the year, been in since last month and was VERY well rested

Sadly, Gaz lost one about 8lb , right at the net (faffing about with the net...he could have beached it easily) in the same spot mid afternoon.

A braw day out wi good pals never the less!

dsc00548-jpg

dsc00552-jpg
    Nice one! Well done!
    Good start to the season.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast