Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LPXe and I flight Skagit ?

Didn't know where to put this(if mods feel another page is more suitable, then go ahead).
    Watching the Avon fish caught by Mr.Greenacre on the "casting from dry land thread" he's using a substantial Skagit set up of 650gr I flight Skagit and two Mow tips on a 15ft 10/11 LPXe !.
    As an LPXe Mk.1 version owner I have to say I cringed over the video, but evidently what do I know now.Combined Forum wisdom has allways suggested that LPXe's and Skagit do not make good bed fellows.
    I have fished Skagity off my Reaction a few times(after an e-mail chat or two with Guideline them selves) but to date have never thought of trying a Skagit approach (maybe a little modified towards safety of the rod) with my LPXe.
    Wondered if there were others out there who buck the trend with their LPXe's?
    Yours still slightly cringing,Pedro.

He's shooting no more than 6 or 7 ft of running line by sort of flopping it forward. He doesn't need any more distance so it's grand with the lpxe, no real stress on the rod.

It could be great fun to watch if he was waist deep in water, with the same setup and needing to shoot 40 ft of runninhg line

I havenít got an LPXe but have tried a 650 skagit on my Guideline AWMs with surprising results.

On the 14ft 9 inch 10/11 it was clear after a couple of gentle casts that if I was to put any effort into the cast I would snap the tip off. The rod just didnít like it. On the other hand the 14ft 9/10 weight handled it without problem casting 15ft of T14 and a tube a good distance and with no worries.

How can two rods from the same family can vary so much? Both rods have very light tips but the middle and butt sections of the 14ft are so much softer giving the rod a far more through action. It really is a soft rod which is surprising for a Guideline.

Maybe is it a case that individual rods of the same model/length vary so one personís rod will handle a skagit and anotherís version of exactly the same model/length wonít!

I wouldnt fancy trying it on mine, they feel really loaded up with a rage head.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wow Richardgw,I've both those AWM's and wouldn't consider a skagit on either of them!,primarily as the tip on my 14ft 9 is broken and there's no spares left and secondly I consider the 14ft 9/10 stiffer still than its 14ft 9 ins bro.
    I've slung seriously quick sinking scandi heads on them both so far with nary a problem, but hey allways learning!.
    Interestingly what weight Skagit do you sling on the 14ft 9/10?.
    Pedro.

Default Guideline rods - Skagit & rod variation

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Wow Richardgw,I've both those AWM's and wouldn't consider a skagit on either of them!,primarily as the tip on my 14ft 9 is broken and there's no spares left and secondly I consider the 14ft 9/10 stiffer still than its 14ft 9 ins bro.
    I've slung seriously quick sinking scandi heads on them both so far with nary a problem, but hey allways learning!.
    Interestingly what weight Skagit do you sling on the 14ft 9/10?.
    Pedro.
    It was 650 grains.

I was aware of your views of Guideline rods from earlier threads and it has set me thinking that perhaps individual rods, particularly in budget ranges which AWMs were, may vary quite a bit. This would explain why my 14ft AWM sounds as if it is a lot softer than yours. I donít like my rod. It casts well enough but too soft for me and it lacks the guts to move a big fish to the net which has got me in difficulties more than once. So it is gathering dust in my cupboard.

My 14ft 9 inch AWM, however, is way stiffer than my 14ft AWM. The longer rod is a very good but for shooting heads only. It handles Rio SVTs in either 9 or 10 weight with either the floating or intermediate bodies with any of the tips very well indeed. It also has penty of power for big fish and is my go to rod when I want one of that length.

On the subject of Guideline rods and skagit I once met an angler using a 13ft 7 inch Exceed with a 570 grain skagit. He let me have a go with it. I went gently to start with but on his insistence I put some power into the cast and it went very well, which is contrary to Springerís findings in his review of this very rod. Again is this down to individual rods varying perhaps within tolerances? Perhaps this is why some people like a particular rod whilst others donít.

SFF Review - Guideline Exceed 13'7 - 9/10 - 33/37g
    Last edited by Richardgw; 10-02-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Suspect this difference in individual rods is due to how the spine is lined up with the rings.

I personally did not like a Skagit head on my MK1 LPXe. Just did not flow good. I did use a Skagit head on my 3 pc LeCie with OK results. I know some of the breakages these 2 rods are famous for occurred using Skagit heads, more so the LeCie as it was more popular here in the PNW and often overloaded IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgw View Post
    It was 650 grains.

I was aware of your views of Guideline rods from earlier threads and it has set me thinking that perhaps individual rods, particularly in budget ranges which AWMs were, may vary quite a bit. This would explain why my 14ft AWM sounds as if it is a lot softer than yours. I donít like my rod. It casts well enough but too soft for me and it lacks the guts to move a big fish to the net which has got me in difficulties more than once. So it is gathering dust in my cupboard.

My 14ft 9 inch AWM, however, is way stiffer than my 14ft AWM. The longer rod is a very good but for shooting heads only. It handles Rio SVTs in either 9 or 10 weight with either the floating or intermediate bodies with any of the tips very well indeed. It also has penty of power for big fish and is my go to rod when I want one of that length.

On the subject of Guideline rods and skagit I once met an angler using a 13ft 7 inch Exceed with a 570 grain skagit. He let me have a go with it. I went gently to start with but on his insistence I put some power into the cast and it went very well, which is contrary to Springerís findings in his review of this very rod. Again is this down to individual rods varying perhaps within tolerances? Perhaps this is why some people like a particular rod whilst others donít.

SFF Review - Guideline Exceed 13'7 - 9/10 - 33/37g
    I never considered this at all Richardgw.Some of my friends bought AWM's for their first foray into the world of things Scandi(because it was a cheap route in and they'd seen what mine were capable of!) and used them just fine.Two of them moved up to the 14ft LPXe expecting a faster stiffer rod and were quite surprised at a more mellow limber rod.I have the 15ft MK1 LPXe and its quite similar to the 14ft 9 AWM,just feels to be more of it all round if that's a way to explain things.
    I did buy a loop Cross 13ft for an 8 weight and it wanted a 10 to load it up, against the grain of the experiences of other 13ft users!
    Funny world this with rods!
    Pedro.

Rennie,

Iíve used a 660 grain airflo on my 14ft lpxe with no problems, I like to use Perry poke cast take my time. When I first cast i was slightly concerned with the lpxe not being suitable for skagit, but it throws one with no problems.
    Regards Steve

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe Iíll go fishing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast