Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you...

Quote Originally Posted by neilt View Post
    Ballathie/Cargill top beat Sept or Oct.
    Low water - big fish territory & quite a few others.
    Agreed! Potshot

Default Teith Is Tops

You all don't know what you are talking about.
    Teith 2018 March Phil Black 28lbs+ on fly. Malloch Trophy winner. Also check out Cambusmore Facebook for 25lbs+ April fish. Stirling Council Teith 23lb springer.
    Teith 2017 March Colin Wighton 32lbs fly. Beaten to Malloch trophy by an ould back ender,
    Teith 2011 May Jamie McCaig 42lb springer.
    I have had a 37lb October fish from the Teith which was humped a week later by a 42lbr.
    I and others have had a not insignificant number of 20s, 25s and 30s off the river over the years.
    I'm proud to call it my home river.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Yes, and how few weigh 19 1/2lbs.
    I once booked a 19 1/2lb fish at Delfur, I'm surprised you can't remember it, perhaps your memory is as good as your hearing, no matter how much a shouted and whistled that evening you just ignored me, and continued fishing the pool below me!

Fresh May fish measured at 39"
    Last edited by williegunn2; 06-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.

You,re right Charlie, the "20lb" syndrome is not peculiar to the Wye but I don't have enough experience of other rivers to comment . However having spent the greater percentage of my waking hours from 2005 until 2018 up and down the banks I carnt arf tell you some stories about the Wye and its visitors.

River Usk for me.Then the Upper Wye.

Sewinfly...................

Yes, and how few weigh 19 1/2lbs. But it would be wrong to think it's just a local phenomenon and exclusive to the Wye. Unless people are using weigh nets, I'm sure that exactly the same can be said of the Avon, Tay, Ure and every other river that gets fish of this calibre.

Incidentally, many years ago I was told that, when one of the big Canadian rivers (maybe the Restigouche) went over to 100% C&R, the average weight increased by 3 or 4 lbs from one season to the next. Miraculous!
    Ross AC on the Wye in March. Given the right conditions it can produce as indeed it did during a 2 week period in March 2015 with fish of 21.5 lbs, 19.5 lbs, 20.5 lbs, 20.5 lbs and 28 lbs.

All weighed and Photographed. Note that 19.5 lbs rarity!!!

Wye 2015

Wye 2015

Hants Avon for me, late march into april, anywhere from the Royalty to North End/ Somerley, not as prolific as it used to be, but a real shout, around 4 years ago, during that period, one weekend produced 4 30lb+ fish and 6 20lb+ fish, shame I was elsewhere!!!
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by williegunn2 View Post
    I once booked a 19 1/2lb fish at Delfur, I'm surprised you can't remember it, perhaps your memory is as good as your hearing, no matter how much a shouted and whistled that evening you just ignored me, and continued fishing the pool below me!

Fresh May fish measured at 39"
    Heh heh. I certainly remember the fuss you made about having to land it on your own! But as I recall, I got off lightly in comparison with a certain person (no names no packdrill) who drove along the top of the bank just yards from where you were playing it without glancing down to check on you.

39" eh? That would surely have been more than 19 1/2lbs. I'd give you 19 3/4 for it.
    Last edited by charlieH; 06-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread just to remark on the quality of fish coming out of the Wye at the moment. Since it came back into fishing order after the last spate, four days' fishing have seen 15 fish reported on the Fishing Passport website. Of these the smallest was 12lbs, and the largest was reported as 22lbs+. Five of the fifteen were over 20lbs, and the average weight was a shade under 18 1/4 lbs.

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread just to remark on the quality of fish coming out of the Wye at the moment. Since it came back into fishing order after the last spate, four days' fishing have seen 15 fish reported on the Fishing Passport website. Of these the smallest was 12lbs, and the largest was reported as 22lbs+. Five of the fifteen were over 20lbs, and the average weight was a shade under 18 1/4 lbs.
    Very impressive average weight. Has it always been that way on the river Charlie?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast