Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Uist View Post
    So a river has no water in it and hasn't for three months, the weather reports that there is no hope of rain to fill the rivers. There, maybe, be some red salmon in water lacking in oxygen and VERY low water.

If we catch a salmon the probability is that it will die.

Should they shut the river and return monies paid?
    Yes and no. Yes they should shut the river. No they should not refund all of the monies paid, perhaps a percentage.

I had this exact situation having booked fishing on prime beats of the Erriff at peak times for my brothers annual trip over from England. Due to the extreme drought in July the river was closed to prevent stress on the fish held up in large numbers on beat nine.

The money was refunded to me in total. Something I did not expect. I would have accepted the loss on the grounds that it is a sport subject to natural conditions outside of anyone's control, you pays your money and takes your chances sort of thing. Also I consider there should have been a percentage kept equivalent to a deposit payment of approx 50% as there are continuing overheads and staffing costs on any Fishery.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by minitube View Post

The money was refunded to me in total.
    As it should have been.
    Iím sorry , and weíve been here before , but I just donít buy into this antiquated system of the angler shouldering the bill.
    It needs throwing in the bin along with many other historical practices.
    Last edited by ibm59; 11-01-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

One time a regular booked me on the Moy at Mount Falcon. The day he arrived it had rained heavy all day. I look at the water at 7.00 a.m. Chocolate brown, logs and debris everywhere. I ring him at 8.30 a.m. to say its out of order. He has already seen it. Come down anyway.

We'll have a look in the boat. Himself and the son. I drive up the river, the boat engine acts up. Eventually we get to the beat. Where is it shallowest now? He asks. We stop there, he has a couple of casts. Then we move to the other shallowest place. The son has a couple of token casts. Okay, lets go back he says you're right, its out of order. Up to the hotel for Brunch on him. I'm wondering as he's very experienced why he went fishing for what wasa token cast or two.

He then hands me the full couple of days fee, saying he may or may not fish the next day depending on how things look.

Then I realise that he only did that to pay me the money. No other reason.

I don't want to take it.

He looks at me. You have a wife and two children. Its not your fault it rained heavily for a day. You won't hear us complaining. You still have your bills at the end of the week don't you?

Ah but I say, - he interups me. No buts. No more about it.

And don't be feeling bad about it in the slightest he then says. I have in the past booked grouse shooting for ten guns at 1000 sterling per day each and it has rained all day, not a single shot fired. That's country sports for you. That's the way it is.

That's also typical of whats likely to happen when I meet the real 'old school' gentlemen of the country sporting tradition. Nothing much wrong with their outlook I consider.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Default You pays your money.......

And you take the consequences, in my book.

Last year I booked a day on a beat I know well. I phoned the proprietor a few days before we were due to fish, being fearful that because of the drought there would be no fish and very little water. "You'd be wasting your time", he told me candidly. We didn't go but I sent him his money anyway. I think he was a little surprised. But he had accepted my booking on the basis that he would be paid on the day. That was the deal. And a deal's a deal, surely.

The accepted practice with the outfitters I know over here is that if conditions are clearly hopeless - if they are just bad you fish anyway - they try and call you and tell you so, and they give you the option of applying your deposit to another week in the future. They don't offer refunds, and I can understand that.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Opposite to a drought but I remember a few years back a party got washed out for the week and went to speak to the factor in the hope of a refund.
    "Well,'' he said, ''look at it this way ..... If you'd arrived and found the height perfect and the pools full of fish .... would you expect us to charge you more?''

He didn't reduce the fishing costs but didn't charge for the personal gillies, which was fair enough 'cos we were just drinking tea, watching trees wash down the river all week.
    Oh, and a bit of bailing in the morning.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.
    If someone is that concerned, aren't there insurance brokers who will offer cover? I'm sure it used to be done.

Iíve proposed this one before.......

Rather than penalise individual bookings for unlucky poor conditions, why not spread the risk across the season reflected in the per diem pricing?

Given stats must be available for the average no of unfit days over the years, doing it that way removes the pressure on the situation and allows the angler to re-book for another time without standing the whole cost of 2x fees (so the beat wins twice anyway).

Itís a type of insurance premium I guess but it covers the situation for those one or two day trips that many of us with a heavy work schedule manage to squeeze in, and the available insurance (eg via Fishpal) isnít viable for short visits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12